am I doing this right?

my daughter is 3 months old. She breastfeeds ALL THE TIME!! This has been going on for weeks and weeks. I have a 2 1/2 year old son and it is hard for me to even leave the house. She does not nap at all during the day (aside from the occasional 10 minute recharge). When she cries I try everything to help her- but it is always ends up her being hungry and needing to eat. My back hurts, my boobs hurt, and I feel like I am missing something. I thought that after a few months she would slow down on her eating habbits- will she continue to demand almost hourly feedings- or may she slow down sometime soon? Thank you for any input and advice.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:48 PM on May. 30, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son did the same thing from birth till probably around that age. It was every 2 hours on the dot! Sometimes every hour and a half. If she seems hungry, then feed her. That's what I did. Now my son is 10 months old and nurses only like 3-5 times a day. He slowed down all on his own. It will get better. She could be going through a growing spurt too.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 10:51 PM on May. 30, 2010

• my son is doing the same thing, I call him my Hungry Hungry Hippo, lol. How's your milk production? Mine isn't enough so we are supplimenting just a wee bit of formula. I would so rather it be solely breastmilk, but it's just not enough for him. The small amount we suppliment allows him to get full enough to get the rest he needs. If you are 100% against formula and are home enough to solely breastfeed, research your options or talk to a lactation specialist about upping your supply. are you pumping along with the baby's feedings? You can take a natural herb..fenugreek (wonderful by the way). UP your fluids! you should be drinking at the least a liter of water per day. Think of it this way....you can't make fluid if you don't have fluid. I wish you luck!
    Adeline1210

Answer by Adeline1210 at 11:00 PM on May. 30, 2010

• i didnt breastfeed, i formula fed, and it was the same thing for me. he was ALWAYS hungry for the first i would say 5 months or so. and he would go threw growth spurts where he was hungrier more, and then it would slow down again. i think 6 months is when it started to get a little easier, especially because i started him on solids around 4 and hlf months, and 5-6 months is when he really started loving his solids and eating them alot.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 11:02 PM on May. 30, 2010

• my daughter did the same thing, she was hungry all the time for about 4 months. so it seems like it may just be how the age is. Good luck!
    msmarie

Answer by msmarie at 12:17 AM on May. 31, 2010

• You are doing this exactly right. SHe WILL slow down. To help her...let her come off the breast on her own, burp and if she's still hungry offer the SAME side to get more hindmilk in her. Use the one side for a three hour period, the other for the next three hours. This is block feeding and often slows them down a bit.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:57 AM on May. 31, 2010

• You may have a high need baby this time. You are doing the right thing by nursing her frequently and meeting her needs! Hang in there, it WILL get easier! However, sore boobs and a fussy baby who wants to eat all the time are all signs of an obversupply of milk. Take a look at the info at oversupply

Also check out So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 1:06 PM on May. 31, 2010