I have a 3 1/2 yo son and a little boy due in sept. Any tips or advise that you received as parents that helped in preparing for the second childs birth.

My son is wonderful and seems to have a pretty good understanding about what is going on. However, there arent very many babys around for him to see. I was just curious if someone gave you advise that you really liked to help prepare the first child for the second's arrival. Thanks Ladies!!

Anubis8733

Asked by Anubis8733 at 5:23 PM on Jun. 27, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Here are some ideas that worked for me: Have a t-shirt made that says "I'm a big brother!" or something like that and your son can wear that proudly when he visits you at the hospital. Once you bring the baby home and get settled, ask your son his opinion on certain things like, "What should the baby wear today, this outfit or this one?" I have three kids and the older children always referred to the new baby as "their" baby and couldn't wait to help. Good Luck!

3kidz4me

Answer by 3kidz4me at 5:39 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• My son was 18 months old when his first sister was born, so he doesn't remember being an only child. He had just turned 3 when our second daughter was born, and a littlte-okay, a lot-jealous of the attention she got. We made him feel important by letting him help with bathing her and burping her and getting a fresh diaper from the diaper holder. We also made sure that we both spent one on one time with him as often as we could. Everything worked out great.
    April_418

Answer by April_418 at 6:06 PM on Jun. 27, 2008