I think my baby has IBS...

I have a 19 month old baby boy.. He has had sporadic bowl movements since he went to formula.. The doctor just told me to take him off of processed meats and foods.. I have and he is still having watery, not normal bowl movements.. I am thinking he has IBS.. he bends over and holds his stomach in pain and shortly afterward he has a horrible poopy diaper.. I am concerned that my doctor is not paying attention to my concerns since she isn't even worried about him.. Should I take him somewhere else and could he have IBS?

I have taken him off of all processed foods.. he is drinking lactose free milk, we limit his sugar intake, he isn't allowed junk food.. if he wants a snack we give him vegetables or whole grain crackers.. I even quit giving him fruit because my doctor told me no raw fruits.. Nothing seems to be working

Hotchick1604

Asked by Hotchick1604 at 11:07 PM on May. 30, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my sister in law has Crohns, which is worse than IBS. and it took doctors over ten years to diagnose her. She lost alot of her intestine due to this. They had to cut out a huge bit and she almost died. They have a Crohn's and Colitis foundation but google it and find someone in your area. It could be IBS or it could be worse. God Bless You and i Pray that your little one will get whatever treatment he needs. Ask your doctor to recomend a specilist or ask for a colonoscopy, i know this will SUCK for your baby but may end up making his life better in the long run!
    smilelovesmile

Answer by smilelovesmile at 11:19 PM on May. 30, 2010

• Thank you very much.. I am just worried that something may be wrong with him.. I don't feel that my doctor is a bad pediatrician BUT I do know she is the only one around here that takes medicaid and she is VERY busy.. i just don't want her to over look the situation.. and thank you very much again.. Is your sister-in-law doing well now that they know what was causing her problems?
    Hotchick1604

Answer by Hotchick1604 at 11:25 PM on May. 30, 2010

• I have ibs. It is painfull like you are saying. When its time to go poo after something irritates your tummy it hurts. The things that set me off are anything with red sauce, high carbs, and salad. It can be managed though. Id get a second opinion.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 1:19 AM on May. 31, 2010

• I have IBS also.. So that is one reason that I was wondering if he has it.. I also don't have a gallbladder.. so I don't know if the pain is from my IBS or lack of gallbladder
    Hotchick1604

Answer by Hotchick1604 at 4:18 AM on May. 31, 2010

• Have you tried to eliminate gluten from his diet?? I would try that and see if it helps.
    And fruits like banana's and applesauce might actually HELP with the loose stools.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:07 PM on May. 31, 2010

• I am guessing that is what I am going to have to try next.. His poo is so strong and acidic that he keeps a a horrible diaper rash... I have tried everything for it and I can't get it cleared up.. I have even tried the stuff for invalids for their bed sores.. The doctor prescribed us some cream stuff for his butt.. and it does worse than the cornstarch I put on his bottom. I am guessing that it is caused from the possible IBS?
    Hotchick1604

Answer by Hotchick1604 at 3:48 PM on May. 31, 2010

• acidic stools? I would try eliminating gluten. Also try a anti-fungal for the diaper rash. I suspect it could be yeast.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 9:43 PM on May. 31, 2010

• Oh and be aware that a high veggie diet can cause looser stools. Soft serve style is pretty standard in my house. That's gross, I know, but it's the only way i can describe it. LOL
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 9:44 PM on May. 31, 2010