jw wondering bc im brest feeding?????????????

Ok my babys not even a week old and i have so much milk . I really enjoy feeding him but it hurts when he latches now but it dont hurt as bad when i pump so i was wondering if i could just pump and it get better and then i can continue to feed him on the breast. I already have the cream you put on them so i need other answers ,how was your exspierences? How long can you leave pumped bottles of milk in fridge??

nicole341

Asked by nicole341 at 12:51 AM on May. 31, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• you can pump and choose to bottle feed and then try to have him latch when its not so painful mama. alot of moms need to "toughen" up their nipples so dont feel bad about it. as for storage of breastmilk? I am not sure but you can definantly do an answer search here if no one knows and find that out. good luck to you and congrats on the new lil one. :)
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 12:53 AM on May. 31, 2010

• if you pump a little out on each side before you feed the baby it will easier to get a good latch. and it will keep your supply up too. it will keep in the freezer for i think 6 months.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 12:56 AM on May. 31, 2010

• Way to go on nursing!
    You can freeze breastmilk. Make sure his tongue is not on top but underneath the nipple, when latching. You can read up on latching. As he grows bigger and eats more, you'll make more milk. It will adjust.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 1:03 AM on May. 31, 2010

• You can express some milk before you latch the baby, this will relieve the pressure. Your body is adjusting right now, that is why you have so much milk. This is the engorgement period. It will pass. Just continue to give the breast on demand and just express enough milk to get the pressure off. You will be fine.

midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 1:09 AM on May. 31, 2010

• my baby is three months now, and when we started nursing, my nipples hurt really bad too. after i kept at it and a month later, my baby and i figured it out together and it doesnt hurt unless she latches wrong when shes impatient. pumping is what is killing me at the moment. good luck!
    elizabugsmommy

Answer by elizabugsmommy at 1:41 AM on May. 31, 2010

• You can pump if it feels better than latching on. The best thing I found for soreness is breast shells! They keep your clothing off of your nipples and let them air dry to heal much, much faster! They are also kind of like armor, protecting them from pain in case someone bumps into your chest! LOL! If I had known about them with my first, I could have avoided weeks and weeks of sore nipples. They drastically cut down on the soreness with all of my subsequent children! Whatever you do, don't give up nursing over soreness. You will more than likely regret it. It might hurt for a while, but soon enough you will feel much better, and it will all be worth it!
    MyGiftsFromGod

Answer by MyGiftsFromGod at 1:53 AM on May. 31, 2010

• breastmilk storage guidelines say 3 hours at room temp, 48 hours in the fridge, 3-6 months in a freezer, 1 year in a deep freeze or sub zero freezer.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 1:58 AM on May. 31, 2010

• Hang in there with the soreness, they will get better soon, try to get them dry as quickly as possible after a feed. Be careful with expressing extra milk, I know it makes them feel better for that moment but the way breast work is however much milk you take out, that's how much I think I need to make again! If you take extra off to relieve the pressure your breasts will produce that much again. It is early days your milk has just come in, they are trying to figure out how much is enough. It really will settle down over the next week or two. In the mean time, hot face cloths on the breasts really help and soothe, go without a shirt & bra if at all possible ( pull the drapes LOL) hot showers - you will probably look like a milk fountain in there- all normal. If the pain gets too bad, nipple shields that the baby sucks through ( for inverted nipples etc) can help relieve some of the direct pressure while you get used to it GL!
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 2:00 AM on May. 31, 2010

• You can pump a little before latching. I would NOT pump instead of nursing this earl;y. You run a severe risk of baby developing nipple preference and refusing the breast.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:51 AM on May. 31, 2010

• This is very normal for only a week in. I personally would not pump instead of nursing at this point since baby could develop nipple preference and you also run the risk of having a constant over supply in the long run which will require you always pumping or being very uncomfortable at some point. Just keep nursing and if the pressure is that bad pump or hand express a little in between nursings. I would also find a certified lactation consultant to make sure LO latch is correct. The pain and engorgement eventually go away (pain about a month, engorgement a week or so).
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:46 AM on May. 31, 2010