Do I need a car seat in a taxi cab?

I have two children who use the carseat that's between 20 and 40 lb and I can't find any taxi service in my city that offers car seats on their rides. I need to get to the airport and I have no friends here that have carseats and could drive me to the airport. The ones that could drive me have no carseats, and the ones that have carseats can't drive me. I have my own car seats but I can't take them with me to the airport because I already have a large suitcase, a double stroller, a carry on, two kids and my laptop and purse with me. My husband will be driving the u-haul and my car 1800 miles and I am flying with the kids. Any ideas on how to get to the airport?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:13 AM on May. 31, 2010 in Travel

• Why not use your car seats in the car of the friend who can drive you and have the friend keep the car seats until you return home?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:17 AM on May. 31, 2010

• I'm not returning, this is a permanent move.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:18 AM on May. 31, 2010

• Or have your husband take you to the airport and have him bring the car seats with the u-haul.
    Anonymous

• anon you're so smart.
    dbodani

Answer by dbodani at 2:18 AM on May. 31, 2010

• the above answer
    Anonymous

• Or have the friend take you with the car seats and then buy new ones when you get there. Or give the friend money and have them fed-ex them to you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:19 AM on May. 31, 2010

• yes you need a car seat for a taxi

huge liability on taxi's end if there is not one
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 2:19 AM on May. 31, 2010

• My husband is leaving two days before me. I can not leave from here with two kids and move into a completely empty apartment in a different state with no friends there. We are moving from Texas to pennsylvania for his job. When I get there he will wait for me at the airport with my car and my car seats. I can't have it at both airports, kwim?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:20 AM on May. 31, 2010

• If my husband leaves the carseats with me in Texas, how am i gonna get picked up in Pennsylvania? Even if we were to buy new ones? Do you think that after 25 hours drive he will run to walmart to buy two car seats and install them? He only has 3 hours to get to the airport from the time he gets to Pittsburgh until the time my flight lands.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:22 AM on May. 31, 2010

• What he will and will not do is irrelevant. It is illegal to be in any car, taxi or not a taxi, with children and adults not properly restrained. Yes you need car seats, so figure out a way to get them.
    MissMommyK

Answer by MissMommyK at 2:24 AM on May. 31, 2010