The girl who was suspended because of her prom dress and the 17 other girls who were paddled for their dresses???

Seriously are they really paddling kids in Alabama? I started reading about the story because I had to see how awful the dress was that got the girl suspended, truthfully it wasen't that bad, I'd have let my dd wear it. But then they mentioned that the other students chose paddling as a punishment, for real, this still goes on?!
Do your children attend a school where physical punishment is used? Is this for real or a joke? I'm having a really hard time believing that this still goes on and that parent's allow or tolerate this kind of punishment.

AmandaH321

Asked by AmandaH321 at 3:03 AM on May. 31, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• people this isn't about what the kids wore so much as the punishment dished out by the schools for this. I can't believe how many of you are okay with the punishment.

I would never let someone else touch my child in that manner. Do you know how hard or lightly they hit your child? Do you know if it bruises them? or Hell maybe they could break a bone without even trying to. Or lets let them get a spank on the butt, yeah, that's soo nice, let some stranger you don't know take a swat at your kids butt. Seriously? You know at least once a year Iread about some teacher being busted for sexual harrassement, yet you people are putting your children closer to someone you dont' know and wonder why somethings happen?

xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:26 PM on May. 31, 2010

• Oh heck no! that would not be happening to my children, I will come with a even bigger paddle and paddle away at who ever touched my child. Im sorry but I really hope parents do not let their kids go to schools like this wth?
    bellamommyof4

Answer by bellamommyof4 at 3:09 AM on May. 31, 2010

• http://uaddit.com/discussions/showthread.php?p=25868#post25868
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 3:13 AM on May. 31, 2010

• http://oxford.ocss.schoolinsites.com/?PageName=LatestNews&Section=Highlights&ItemID=27758&ISrc=School&Itype=Highlights&SchoolID=143
    This is the linc to the high school, at the bottom of the dress code it says that corporal punishment may be substituted.
    I'm having a hard time believing this.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 3:22 AM on May. 31, 2010

• I live in alabama and yes they paddle students the parent has to sign a form saying whether or not your child can be paddled.
    robinalbright

Answer by robinalbright at 3:24 AM on May. 31, 2010

• robinalbright are you ok with this? Have you or will you sign for your children to be paddled? Why or why not? I have not heard of corporal punishment since my mom went to school and she's in her 50's.
    I'm really shocked to hear that this is still going on. I live in Canada and don't know of any school here that still practices this and I just assumed it was the same in the US.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 3:27 AM on May. 31, 2010

• I am 34 and I was paddled a few times in elementary school. I live in SC. The county I live in is pretty big school wise, I think we have 20 schools in our county and none of them paddle anymore. As for the rest of the state, IDK.. But no, I would not let anyone else paddle my kids. I have spanked, not often.. My 17 year old has been spanked twice. The younger two kids have been spanked once. Other things work better for them.

midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 3:36 AM on May. 31, 2010

• When i was in high school i got a few paddlings i never thought to much about it back then but my child goes to a private school where they do not paddle and if s did go to a public school i would not sign. And to the lady that said most of the girls were black. That is because most of the population in oxford are black so i dont think that was the issue.
    robinalbright

Answer by robinalbright at 3:37 AM on May. 31, 2010

• After watching the video, I really wonder how many of the girls that broke the dress code were black. Not because they are more likely to break the dress code, but because the school is more likely to enforce it with black students. Interesting... Makes you wonder.

Really??? How do you know that the school was more likely to enforce it with black kids - where in all of this story did you decide to play the race card ? There were rules in place, some kids broke them and you automatically assume it is racially motivated? I don't agree with paddling (on black, white or green butts) but to bring race in... Come ON!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:37 AM on May. 31, 2010

• yes in my head as opposed to stating it on a public forum - there is no evidence anywhere that this was a racial attack in any way, I don't get why that needs to be brought up again and again and again. If you have a population that is 80% black then you will have a similar ratio of girls punished - racial? no, just a number until it is compared with all the other facts. And ... if 18 girls knew the rules and flaunted them either the school was unclear in its policy or those girls all deliberately broke the rule. They have seen pics of previous years, they know the standard and expectation, and yet 18 girls still chose dresses that skated so close to the line they were deemed inappropriate.. if that was a majority of white , black, hispanic or butt ugly green aliens, a rule is a rule and they chose to go so close to the edge , some fell off!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:49 AM on May. 31, 2010