Does your child attend a school that supports corporal punishment?

http://oxford.ocss.schoolinsites.com/?PageName=LatestNews&Section=Highlights&ItemID=27758&ISrc=School&Itype=Highlights&SchoolID=143

This is the linc to the school about the girl who refused corporal punishment because of her prom dress.

AmandaH321

Asked by AmandaH321 at 3:24 AM on May. 31, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• As a teacher, I wish corporal punishment was allowed, I would love or love to see someone paddle some of these kids. As a parent, I would not like it.
    staceynoel

Answer by staceynoel at 9:30 AM on May. 31, 2010

• Baha ha ha ha! My son's school is so worried about being sued, that teachers are not even allowed to hug students. They are only allowed to touch them on the shoulder, with one or two finger tips and not for longer than three seconds. Yes, it is in the teacher handbook, my sister is a teacher there.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 3:30 AM on May. 31, 2010

• My daughter goes to a Greek school and it's very different. Teachers are amazingly close to their students. They are allowed to hug and kiss their students, they're allowed to handle every situation the way they think is better etc. I love that.
    pipermomofash

Answer by pipermomofash at 3:43 AM on May. 31, 2010

• No corporal punishment. I wouldn't allow my kids to be hit at school.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 8:43 AM on May. 31, 2010

• If my son DID attend a school that paddled, you've better believe I would NOT be signing a release form for that. If someone tried to paddle my child, they'd get sued.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 9:03 AM on May. 31, 2010

• i recently moved to louisianna from a state up north and didn't realize at the time that corporal punishement is allowed in schools in the US. I can't just allow my kids to not be at that school ....what school would I send them to then? Being that, pretty much all schools allow it in La. I love how people have all the answers on here. I was shocked at first but ended up signing the form for them not to be paddled and did warn them that I would be suiing if they were or if any medication was administered to them without my consent and yes, they do that to...have not had a problem at all for year and 1/2 and the school is great otherwise with very high test scores and wonderful and caring teachers....I wasn't sure the US had caring teachers either till I move down here either.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:15 AM on May. 31, 2010

• No and she wouldn't. Thankfully we don't live in a backwater, ignorant state.
    Octobersmom

Answer by Octobersmom at 9:17 AM on May. 31, 2010

• no.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:23 AM on May. 31, 2010

• No.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:51 AM on May. 31, 2010

• I went to school in the days when a spanking was an accepted form of discipline. We didn't have a discipline problem. All the kids KNEW that if they really acted up, there were consequences...and a spanking was NEVER the first choice of action for the first offense. A lot of you mamas are acting like the teachers go around just spanking & hitting for no reason at all. That is FAR from the case. Think about it like this -- your kid has an afterschool job. There are rules that go with that job. If your kid does something wrong AT WORK that calls for discipline, are you, as the parent, going to complain about that? Or are you going to tell your kid to shape up if she wants to keep her job? I see school as the same kind of thing, we send our kids there, but DON'T want the admin there to have any way to keep order beyond a well modulated voice, and loss of recess? We can see how well that isn't working out.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 1:15 PM on May. 31, 2010