Need good interview questions

I'm interviewing someone tomorrow (her second interview) for a position in my company, where I'll make the final decision. I haven't had to interview/hire anyone in about 8-9 YEARS and I'm kind of at a loss about what to ask.

What are some of the common questions out there?
What kind of questions do you like or dislike when being interviewed?

Thanks a bunch for any help!

kjrn79

Asked by kjrn79 at 8:29 AM on May. 31, 2010 in Money & Work

• I will put in as many as will fit. I have over 15 years of HR experience; send me a message if you would like to talk this through.

Tell me about your work/education history
    What prompted you to submit your resume for this position?
    How often do you balance your checkbook?
    Tell me about the way you are supervised in your current position
    What frustrates you? How do you handle your frustration?
    What animal would you be? Why?
    When were you the most satisfied with your job?
    Describe your ideal working environment.
    What do you do for fun?
    How have you changed the nature of your job?
    What have you accomplished in your current position?
    What are your career goals? How do you think they will fit with this position?
    Do you ever feel pressure in your current position? How do you handle/relieve the pressure?
    If you were to give yourself a performance review, what would be the positives? What would be

Answer by rkoloms at 6:42 PM on May. 31, 2010

• My husband worked as a supervisor and his biggest problem was his employees not showing up. I would recommend you ask about the importance of attendance or calling in ASAP without giving a long sob story. Also, ask how she feels about working as a team player and pitching in when work has to completed. Find out about her attitude.

Personally I dislike the questions where you have to tell how you used humor or handled a problem. Anyone can find a story off the internet and tell you something. It doesn't mean anything except they practiced. Maybe they have been on many interviews and haven't listed all the jobs they lost for not showing up ready to work.
    Anonymous

• I hated the "Tell me something good/bad about yourself" questions. I'm not a self promoter so they're really hard for me.

I had an interview where I was asked to tell stories rather than just answer vague questions. The point was that you can (hopefully) tell more about a person by the stories they tell than you can from their stock interview questions. The questions were like this:

"Tell me something that happened to you in your professional life that you really felt good about."

And:

"Tell me about a time when you were really upset or disappointed in your professional life, and how you dealt with it."
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:38 AM on May. 31, 2010

• google them
    IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 9:22 AM on May. 31, 2010

• Yeah, thanks, I did google them. I thought of that after posting the question.

I wonder what everyone's favorite questions are though. One of the google sites said to ask things like "why are manhole covers round" and "do you think there is extraterrestial life". Um....I don't like those so much.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 9:27 AM on May. 31, 2010

• You always start with tell me a little about yourself

How is your experience relevant to the position

How would you handle the situation if...

what are your strengths and weaknesses

Go down the resume and ask about each job
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 9:52 AM on May. 31, 2010

• Tell me how you think you can be an asset to our company.

inkydorei

Answer by inkydorei at 10:31 AM on May. 31, 2010

• Well when I interviewed people I would get them comfortable. So much so that they would tell me anything.
    HOw long have you worked in this field
    Why would you like this job?
    What are your personal goals?
    I also talk about their education as pertaining to the job?
    HOw long were they at their last job, what they liked about it.
    Why they left it
    I sort of get a feel for the person. I listen to them talk asking about their jobs and history.
    I wanted to see if they were a big complainer or a positive person.
    I also asked about how long they lived in the area, just to see if this was a stable person. If they liked the area and why?
    Stuff like that. Remember to stop and listen, then listen more. REally hear what they are saying then say it back to them,
    so you didn't like your last job because you were left alone a lot? Good luck.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 4:19 PM on May. 31, 2010

• One that has always worked well for me is to outline a common situation in your workplace and ask how that person would handle it.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:57 PM on May. 31, 2010