When should I give my baby water?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:31 AM on May. 31, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• How old is the child?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:32 AM on May. 31, 2010

• She's 3 months old but how old should she be to drink water?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:35 AM on May. 31, 2010

• My son is 8 months old and I just started giving him water. His doctor had told me to start it between 6 and 12 months.
    mom_of_justin

Answer by mom_of_justin at 8:43 AM on May. 31, 2010

• You should betweem 6 and 12 months, but I would follow pediatrician recommendations.

Answer by older at 9:09 AM on May. 31, 2010

• We didn't until after a year.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:13 AM on May. 31, 2010

• not until at least 6 months. and even then, it should be very limited. If you feel your little one is a little dehydrated, formula is just fine. It has enough water in the formula to solve that problem, but carries the nutrients your little one needs.

I know with the summer months here now, it's hard not to want to give your children water to prevent this, but it's not safe to just give a child under 6 months water... and between 6-12 months it shouldn't be more than 4 ounces, and should never replace their formula or breast milk. Babies need all they can get from formula or breastmilk to grow and develop.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 9:38 AM on May. 31, 2010

• I knew an LVN that had told me that babies need water immediately and repremanded me for not giving my infants water. I don't know because there are a variation of opinions on this. I had to give my second one water after he was born because of his jaundice. Maybe you should see what your pediatrician reccomends.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 9:47 AM on May. 31, 2010

• Around 7 months. Giving any water before 6 months can cause serious problems with their electrolyte balance. Up to 6 months the ONLY fluids they need are breast milk or formula. Around 7 months I started offering a sippy of water, but they shouldn't drink more than around 4 oz of water in an entire day until closer to 10 months.

Also, not sure what lowencope is talking about with juandice and water. My first 2 babies were jaundice and my pediatrician said to keep breastfeeding on demand. He said lots of breast milk was the best treatment for jaundice. Even a FF baby should be getting formula over water for jaundice.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 11:36 AM on May. 31, 2010

• I started around 7 months when he started eating table foods. It was like 2 oz a day spread out through meals. I gave it to wash his food down. I would ask your pedi at babies 4 month appointment. As for now i would definitely say its too early :)
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 12:16 PM on May. 31, 2010

• When baby starts eating solids you can begin to offer small amounts of water in a cup. Breastmilk or formula ONLY in the bottle, everything else (water, juice, cow's milk) goes into a cup when they are ready for them.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 1:02 PM on May. 31, 2010