Do parents take their children to Fast Food restaurants for the toys?

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

SAN JOSE, Calif. — County officials in Silicon Valley trying to curb childhood obesity voted Tuesday to ban restaurants from giving away toys and other freebies that often come with high-calorie meals aimed at kids.

The ordinance is largely symbolic as it would only cover unincorporated areas of Santa Clara County, meaning only about a dozen fast-food outlets and several other family-owned restaurants would be affected.

But its chief sponsor says it's still important because it paves the way for other areas to act, may spur action by fast-food chains to offer healthier choices and can help parents by taking away a child's incentive for wanting less healthy food.

foxnews.com

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:58 AM on May. 31, 2010 in General Parenting

• Not us. I actually hate the toys. These little small annoying things that the kids play with for 5 mins and forget about. Then one day you have a toy box full of useless junk.

The only reason I like the toys is because it is a nice treat for the kids.
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 9:06 AM on May. 31, 2010

• We rarely get fast food, but yes I have. When McDonalds had the beanie babies last year I took my kids twice, we went on Wednesdays because they had some special deal and happy meals were only $1.50 or something. I had a friend growing up whose mom would collect the McDonald toys, they went all the time because of the toys.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 9:15 AM on May. 31, 2010

• No, we never go in lets go here to get x toy. Even with mine being 8 and 9 we no longer buy them happy meals, but we aren't buying them value meal either. We buy them a sandwich, yogurt parfait, and drink, generally apple juice. We've been doing this for a good year now so that started when they were 7 and 8. Sure they may have a McD, BK or any fast food meal time to time, but they didn't know what a twinkie was until this weekend. As my SIL told me this weekend that just goes to show how their daily diet does not contain crap. Sure maybe the occasional items or fast food here or there, but it is not a daily thing.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 9:19 AM on May. 31, 2010

• No, they take them to fast food restaurants because they're lazy... The toys are just a bonus. My opinion anyway.. If you ask our boys if they like McDonalds or any of the other crap fast food places they all will tell you NO, they are GROSS..
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:20 AM on May. 31, 2010

• For us...yeah, it's basically the only reason I would take my kids to one of those burger joints. The last 3 times we went to McDonald's (about 3 1/2 years ago) was because they were giving away some cute toy that I thought my then 3yo would like (and the place was right down the street so it was a fun treat). Otherwise we never ate there. The kids got Happy Meals (one got chicken nuggets the other 2 got cheeseburgers) with apples and milk and I took away the caramel dip because it was way too messy. I had an iced tea and a small fry.
    The only fast food we really do is Subway and anymore we don't get the kids' meal. It's cheaper to just buy footlongs and split them between the kids. They go there for the food, not the toys.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:27 AM on May. 31, 2010

• Well yes and no. I like the fact that they get a toy because its fun for them, but I mostly do it out of convienence. If we are going somewhere and we need food fast, where do I go? Fast food. My parents took me to burger kind and McDonalds to get the toys. What's wrong with that? I was never obese. It's up the parents to feed their kids correctly not the government. Fast food should be an occasional treat. Not an everyday thing.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 9:41 AM on May. 31, 2010

• A lot of these places have healthier options available now to children.. when I have gone to mcdonalds with my DD (which is few and far between, maybe 3 times a year, if that) I get the apples over the fries and either a chocolate milk or apple juice. I would never get a pop for my child.

Have we gone there for the toys, yes. We normally stop when we are traveling because it's really all that's available in some area's, and the toys help with the long trip. (not that we don't pack toys already, but it's something new and different for them).
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:06 AM on May. 31, 2010

• its been awhile since my kids have had fast food BUT if the toys were something i know my kids would love and play with for hrs than i might stop in and get them a little something the kids usually get like a chicken nugget happy meal with apple dippers & juice or milk depending...they never get he french fries and they dont use anything to dip their nuggest into but they havent had ANY kind of fast food since March and the same goes for me as well ;) But fast food is getting expensive now these days anyway so i cant afford it like i used too lol.
    MommyOf2kids67

Answer by MommyOf2kids67 at 10:15 AM on May. 31, 2010

• We go once in a while but my daughter never even opens the toys. I usually end up throwing them in the goodwill bin unopened.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 10:20 AM on May. 31, 2010

• No, but the association of getting a new toy is part of what makes kids ask for the fast food in the first place. If kids stop associating McDonald's with meals that come with toys, they may be less inclined to beg for it. I know when I was a kid I'd tear open the happy meal and take out the toy, then never touch my food! I actually remember not liking the food at all, but I'd ask to go there all the time. When they started selling salads that's what I'd get instead of the other menu items... and I was pissed that they didn't come with toys!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 10:22 AM on May. 31, 2010