Is it weird for a guy to still be a virgin when he's in college?

My son is 17 and going to college in the fall and my sister told me that it's bad for his self esteem if he's still a virgin when he's in college.

staceynoel

Asked by staceynoel at 8:59 AM on May. 31, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• It could hurt his self esteem a little depending on why he is still a virgin, like because he couldn't find a girl or because he just didn't want to have sex yet. But I think that him still being a virgin is a good thing.
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 9:03 AM on May. 31, 2010

• It's not weird. And how do you know he's still a virgin? I mean, boys don't really talk about that with their moms. Not even their dads...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:03 AM on May. 31, 2010

• I know he is because he's home all the time playing xbox, on his laptop and texting.
    staceynoel

Answer by staceynoel at 9:06 AM on May. 31, 2010

• No, it's not bad or weird. It MAY hurt his self-esteem. I only say that because my husband had self-esteem issues, some of which stemmed from his own virginity. It wasn't really because he was a virgin that was just the side effect of him started to thinking that he would never find anyone or that no one found him worth loving, etc. However, the other end of it is once we met things were different. He is so, so, so thankful that he "waited". I am my husband first and He is my first and ONLY! That is a blessing that would have never happened if both of us chose to have pre-marital sex. So is it weird no? Is it going to hurt his self-esteem? Personally I would say only if he he has self-worth issues, like my husband had.... It wasn't so much his virginity, as it was him thinking that he wasn't worth anyones love. Once he realized he was worth loving virginity was NOT an issue.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:08 AM on May. 31, 2010

• He's 17 and you think it might be a bad thing that he's still a virgin??? I hope my children are all virgins until the day they are married.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 9:10 AM on May. 31, 2010

• It is kind of rare these days,but just because he is home a lot playing games etc, does not mean he is.

Answer by older at 9:11 AM on May. 31, 2010

• rare is the word not weird, his mommy taught him good!

I hope my son is a virgin t ill marriage all my children!
    IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 9:17 AM on May. 31, 2010

• rare, cause most people are hoes haing sex and kids before narriage, nasty thats how disease gets spread.

And no condoms dont protect against disease nasty woman.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:18 AM on May. 31, 2010

• There's nothing weird about it at all. Look at it this way, what would be harder on him, being a virgin when he goes off to college, or dying from an STD, or having to be treated for one, or having to tell his sexual partners / future wife that he has _____. Or having to drop out of college or work twice as hard while there, because he has a kid somewhere that he has to support, with the possibility of all sorts of drama with the mother of the kid.

Oh, and these risks are not exaggerated - we live on a military base full of Sailors and Airmen - several thousand. The overwhelming majority of them are young and single. There are about 500 kids in the secondary school here (grades 7 - 12), with 300 of them in the hs side of the school. They've recently started a push on more detailed sex ed at the school - they have a higher ratio of STD's in the school than in the barracks!

your son is fine :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:18 AM on May. 31, 2010

• It is very rare, but my hubby was a virgin at the age of 19 when I first met him. IMO I thought it was incredibly sexy
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 9:22 AM on May. 31, 2010