Has anyone used a Kindle reader?

I just read that Amazon lets you download a free Kindle reader if you buy a Kindle book. I found several books I want to read but they only come in Kindle form. I don't want to purchase a Kindle to read them but may consider downloading a reader since it's free. I just wondered if anyone here had downloaded one and if it worked ok on your computer.

Asked by admckenzie at 9:26 AM on May. 31, 2010 in Just for Fun

• It depends on what books you want to read. I have some that are free - most of them are classics (for example, I downloaded Alice in Wonderland as a free one). Some are cheaper than their traditional book form price, and some aren't. Also, I do have to admit, some books aren't available in kindle form in some areas. I recently bought a new book that wasn't licensed to be sold in kindle form in the States, but when I switched my address to my overseas one, I was able to buy it.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:35 AM on May. 31, 2010

• I haven't downloaded, but I do offer a book on it. I wrote a children's book that I sell on there. I really don't know how it works though. I just saw it as a different way to offer it online. Anyway, you can download the reader for free and I think you have to pay for the books you want to read. They are usually a way cheaper price. For exampl my book sells for 10.99 on amazon but you can kindle it for $1 I think. (I don't sell many copies) LOL
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 9:29 AM on May. 31, 2010

• I LOVE LOVE LOVE to read, and for years, I was a "purist" when it came to books. I didn't want any sort of e-reader, and I didn't want to read my books on my computer - I preferred the good, old fashioned, hold it in my hand and turn the pages books.

But we moved overseas, and while there are TONS of bookstores around, all the books are in Japanese, and it gets a little old having to order and pay shipping for them, so I broke down and got a Kindle.

Now, I have to admit, I LOVE it! It's great! I also have the free Kindle software that you're talking about on my computer, and I like it, too - though not as much as the Kindle itself I have to admit.

I wish I had gotten one yrs ago :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:32 AM on May. 31, 2010

• I got a Sony reader for Christmas and I really like it but there are a lot of books that aren't available on it. Also cookbooks arnt the best because it come in to small to see all of the ingredients.

Casarah13

Answer by Casarah13 at 1:18 PM on May. 31, 2010