Is it safe to leave your six-year-old and you 6-month-old sons alone in the same room for 5-6 minutes?

My older son has been very good with the baby- very careful and responsible. But I don't know how he would be alone with the baby-if he tried to pick him up etc.
I always carry the baby around with me when I switch rooms like checking on our food etc.. But can I leave them alone for a few minutes> Would it be safe?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:12 AM on May. 31, 2010 in General Parenting

• ya but maybe put him in the play pen or swing while your out of the room and keep your ears open...i know how you feel....i wouldnt leave the baby in the floor while your out of the room....older child may try to pick them up or fall on them....it only take a minute...but if baby is secured in a play pen or swing or even a walker i dont see the big deal...even mommy needs to go potty by herself sometimes....lol....and it is safer for the baby to be in a nother room while cooking than take a chance of burning their skin...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:16 AM on May. 31, 2010

• Have a baby monitor there.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:21 AM on May. 31, 2010

• Yeah put the baby in a play pen or swing. I have to worry about my two year old and five year old together.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 10:38 AM on May. 31, 2010

• That depends on the child. If he listens well, then why not? I have 3 girls and all are 6.5 yrs apart, the older two were a HUGE help when their sisters were born and I had no problem leaving them alone with the baby because they knew NOT to pick them up.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:38 AM on May. 31, 2010

• Really?
    I never thought twice about leaving my youngest alone with the other kids who were 4, 5 and 6 when she was 6 months old. There was no way I was carrying her around to every room. The only safe place for her was in the living room. I would leave the 5yo in charge when I took showers because he loved to "babysit" her. They also watched her while I cooked dinner on the other side of the house. By the time she was 18 months they were getting her up in the morning and getting her breakfast and watching TV with her so I could sleep in. They loved the responsibility.
    They knew when she was a baby that they weren't allowed to pick her up. None of them were big enough or strong enough to lift her so it wasn't a problem.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:26 AM on May. 31, 2010

• It really depends on your son. If there a chance he might get jealous and hurt the baby? Get curious and tug, squeeze, poke, the baby? Honestly, we can't answer this question because we don't know your son.

I have a 5 month old and a 3.5 yr old and I leave them alone in the room together while I do something like run to the bathroom or toss in a load of laundry. My DD knows the rule is no touching the baby when I'm not in the room. She is only alloud to talk to and sing to the baby. She's proven to be trust worthy around the baby.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 11:50 AM on May. 31, 2010

• I leave my 3 yo alone with my newborn son for up to 10 minutes at a time if I am doing something. He's happily sleeping, and she's playing with her toys. It's never been an issue. She knows she isn't allowed to pick him up. I'd imagine a 6 YO would be fine.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 1:49 PM on May. 31, 2010

• Depends on the kid. I would leave my DD alone with my DS who was 3 for a few minutes, I knew he was good and he was careful with her. But I know of a few kids there is no way I would leave a baby in the room with them at anyage!
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 2:26 PM on May. 31, 2010

• I would. Its just for a few minutes and you still in the same house with them. As long as you think your six year old is responible enough there shouldn't be a problem. Just put the baby on the floor or in a carseat and give them some toys to play with and they will get along fine without you
    symle456

Answer by symle456 at 3:44 PM on May. 31, 2010

• If your son is a typical 6yr. old, then yes it should probably be just fine. I have a 6yr. old son and a 6 month old daughter, and I've never even thought twice about leaving them in the same room together. My 6yr. old even "watches" the baby for me when I go downstairs to do laundry or something. He's very sweet and loves the baby.
    sarahmae3

Answer by sarahmae3 at 9:10 PM on May. 31, 2010