Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does Pneumoccal vaccine reduce amount of ear infections?

Answer Question
 
Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:30 AM on May. 31, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

Answers (2)
  • No... In fact it can increase them. The heavy metals in the vaccine can cause extra fluid in the ears as well as swelling - both of which can increase the amount of ear infections. Pneumoccal can only help protect against Pneumoccal infections such as Meningitis, Strep Throat, Pneumonia & other minor illnesses, and even at that, it can only protect you or your children from certain strands.
    SabrinaMBowen

    Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:15 PM on May. 31, 2010

  • According to the CDC: "Pneumococcal disease is an infection caused by a type of bacteria called Streptococcus pneumoniae (pneumococcus). There are different types of pneumococcal disease, such as pneumococcal pneumonia, bacteremia, meningitis, and otitis media."

    According to Medicinenet.com: "What microorganisms cause otitis media?
    Bacteria and viruses can cause otitis media. Bacteria such as Streptococcus pneumoniae (pneumococcus), nontypable Hemophilus influenzae and Moraxella account for about 85% of cases of acute otitis media. Viruses account for the remaining 15%. Affected infants under six weeks of age tend to have infections from a variety of different bacteria in the middle ear."


    kjrn79

    Answer by kjrn79 at 1:20 PM on May. 31, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.