Why do you have to be perfect to say something is wrong?

I always here people alude to this, saying things like "Who do you think you are, little miss perfect?" and things like that. Why do I, or anyone else, have to be perfect to say that something is wrong? Can't we just use common sense, despite our faults?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:44 AM on May. 31, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I'm thinking that is just a saying and nobody really ever thinks about what it really means. Just like when a person says "you always..." which no one ever really "always" does something. KWIM?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:50 AM on May. 31, 2010

• Because the Bible says not to judge someone unless you have no reason to be judged. It's hypocritical, but we all do it. That's why I say it.
    acurran88

Answer by acurran88 at 10:51 AM on May. 31, 2010

• Well then wouldn't you be hypocrital for saying that someone is wrong? Because you aren't perfect either! So that saying is totally ridiculous. Nobody is perfect, therefore nobody can say anyone is wrong, ever. At least people who say something is wrong aren't hypocritical.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:54 AM on May. 31, 2010

• Without context it's hard to say. Maybe they really mean to say/ask: "Who are you to judge me?" Maybe they feel like they're being put on the defensive . . . since we all make mistakes, sometimes it does more harm than good to point out someone else's mistakes as if you (general you) haven't made many of your own. It could be the difference between constructive criticism and plain old criticism, if that makes sense. There are probably a dozen other reasons I haven't thought of, as well.
    FrogSalad

Answer by FrogSalad at 10:57 AM on May. 31, 2010

• Yes, it is hypocritical! That's what I just said. I judge people. And that's wrong. But I know it's wrong, and I'll tell you that it is.
    acurran88

Answer by acurran88 at 11:01 AM on May. 31, 2010

• It depends on the situation. Are you judging them or just stating something is wrong. Like frogsalad said.
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 11:14 AM on May. 31, 2010

• No one is perfect other than God

Answer by admckenzie at 11:27 AM on May. 31, 2010

• To tell someone else that they are "wrong" IS judgmental and implies that you think you're perfect and, therefore, qualified to make such a judgement. To say "I think that's wrong" is a personal opinion and you can certainly say that if you want to. I think people try to remind you that you are no more or less human than they are with the "Miss Perfect" comments. And your choice of a path is not going to be the same as anyone elses.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 11:32 AM on May. 31, 2010

• What is the difference between saying "That action is wrong" and sayting, "You are wrong for doing that action."? The action is inactive without the actor, so why can't you say the actor is wrong for doing the action? To me, it's the same thing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:38 AM on May. 31, 2010

Because, unless you are their parent, boss, or someone else in a legitimate position of power over them, nobody has given you the right to share your judgment with someone else like that. It's no different than having some random strange mom come up to you and demand you lose custody because you use the wrong (in her OPINION) type of diapers or don't hold the baby long enough each day. Is it any of her business? Is someone else's morality any of yours?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:57 PM on May. 31, 2010