When do you trust in your faith to guide your childrn?

The question over forcing kids to go to church had me curious and it was closed before I could ask.
I fully understand taking your childrn to church being extremly important for a believer because for some it is more eimportant than Drs appoinments and school because for them their faith has them looking at eternity not just the now.
I just wonder though is there a point where if your child came up to you and said that the church or other service was not right or that path was not right for them that you would trust in your god (gods, goddesses, spirts what have you) to guide your child. Would you ever just pray to your chosen power and let the child pick thier path and trust that your god(desses), earth spirts, holy ghost would lead them to where they need to be? I understand waiting till they are older. If you would but not till they where older at what age would you do this?

Alanaplus3

Asked by Alanaplus3 at 11:19 AM on May. 31, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Sorry for typos my kids spilled juice over the key board some of the letters are not working very good.

Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 11:20 AM on May. 31, 2010

• Many people grow up and wonder if their parent's spiritual path is the path they want to take. There is nothing wrong with that. The Bible says to train up your children in The Word and even if they wander they will be back (my paraphrase) The Holy Spirit will watch over them and guide them in spite of themselves. Some will rebel but when they get tired of running from whatever they think they are running from they can become like the Prodigal Son and return "home". I trust my faith every day to guide my children.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:26 AM on May. 31, 2010

• p.s.My kids seem to be ok it's my grandkids that tend to test my faith! lol

Answer by admckenzie at 11:27 AM on May. 31, 2010

• I think it all depends on the situation. No one can force someone to believe something, or follow something, and thats not what Christianity is about. My children are still young, (3 1/2 and 2 yrs) so they don't have a choice, but if they did they would choose to go lol. As a child I did not have a choice, even in my early teens. I did not want to go for a whle because we changed churches and i was upset over that, and uncomfortable with making new firends, but i'm glad that my parents had me go despite feeling ackward. They also made me go to school, and I see that as the same thing. There are many things that church is for, to worship and praise God, to learn about who God is and hear what he has to say to you, and to be in a community with other believers (build relationships). So if my children said they did not want to go we would have a discussion on why and take it from there. I would also pray about it as well.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 11:29 AM on May. 31, 2010

• Well, for me, my kids aren't being exposed to religion until they are ready, until they start looking. But I think for those who are church goers it will vary. I was 6 when I announced that I was going to be a witch and I knew there was a goddess. I wouldn't ever expect someone to leave their 6yo at home - that's just irresponsible. But I think once kids are to a point when they CAN be left home - it's time to leave the choice to them. I mean, when my kids get older (my oldest is only 4) if they say to me they want to go to Church, I'll find a way to get them there... But I want it to be their choice. Now, do I hope that they go in the right direction? Yes, but I hope it's their own direction. As long as they are happy, I won't really care what path they are on...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:32 AM on May. 31, 2010

• I think religion is a very personal thing. So even if a parent DOES push and teach their path, if it isn't something that comes from or reaches the heart, the kid either won't stay there or will stay for the wrong reasons. I hate to see people who are in their religion by name only... People who don't really believe, they just go to church, and I firmly believe that people who are raised with this idea of "I'm going so you go" end up going solely to do what they think their family wants... I know quite a few that do it. In fact I have a friend who is a practicing Pagan Witch, yet, she sings in a Church Choir because her mom wants her to... I would rather know that my kids are on THEIR path because it is THEIR path, not because they feel obligated to follow mine...

I hope that makes sense...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:44 AM on May. 31, 2010

• I wouldnt trust that my god/goddess would guide them but that they would guide themselves based on what they believe and feel is right.

That would still be forcing my beliefs on them even if just silently, for example... I know my family prays that I find my way back to their church and even tho it doesnt directly affect me its still them forcing their beliefs my way.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 1:03 PM on May. 31, 2010

• My goal is that i will show my kids that my God is so much more than just going to church, that they will want to go to church when they're old enough to "choose". Going to church isn't about us and what we get out of it, it's about serving God and others. When we go to church it's to serve, and we teach our kids to serve with us. They will see the blessings that come from that. If they reach an age where they can choose to go or not go then that will be their choice. But my prayer is that they will still go.
    Laura2U

Answer by Laura2U at 3:43 PM on May. 31, 2010

• i started taking all my kids to church when they were born...all of them are baptized Cathoic and they all made their first communion ....my two oldest boys 19 14 go to church on their own and they even take their little sister when dad and I are working....we taught them that religion is very important, we didnt force them to choose its how they were raised
    Anonymous

• I know I am to teach them about Yahweh and all of his truths. What they do with it is in Yahweh's hands. I know from experience that he will always be there for them, and that his plan is the best that could have ever happened. Blessings..
    So yes, I would trust Yahweh to lead my children no matter what.
    Daphna28

Answer by Daphna28 at 7:48 PM on May. 31, 2010