Why is 42 too old?

My husband was a late in life baby, born when his parents were 45 and 50. His mom thought she was going through "the change" when she found out she was pregnant. My husband and I are 43 and 44 and our sons are 18, 19, 22 and 23. The younger 2 actually just graduated from high school. I had my tubes tied in 1991 and never gave things another thought. But guess what? Last week we found out that in Jan. our 5th child will be joining our family. Surprise! We will be 44 and 45 in March and April. So, why do people get so worked up that Celine Dion is 42? Menopause doesn't start for women until they are older, it's part of nature to reproduce in to your 40's. If it weren't then women would hit menopause in their 30's.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:23 AM on May. 31, 2010 in Just for Fun

• "ANY OF US could die before our children are grown. "

exactly! Which is why we should live life to the fullest, and embrace those we have closest to us :).
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 6:31 PM on May. 31, 2010

• I don't think there's a "too old to have a baby". Some women can do it and some can't. I was 18 when I had my son and everyone said I was too young to have a kid. But it's working out incredibly well no matter what the world said.
    When my parents had me they were 42 and 55. Very involved parents, always there for me and we always had fun together. They are also very involved grandparents.
    mom_of_justin

Answer by mom_of_justin at 11:28 AM on May. 31, 2010

• OMG, it's because you will be ancient when your baby graduates from high school or even college. Don't you think it's going to be embarrasing for that child for other kids to assume that you are his grandparents. That's why. Kids are cruel, it's a cruel world. I don't think kids need anything more to make fun of kids for. Plus, if you are around when that kid has kids, you will be too old to even want to babysit for your grandchildren. Not to mention his aunts and uncles might be his age. Trust me, Hon, I am 46... My kids were out of the house three years ago... I am just now back to enjoying MY freedom while I can. I am having a blast. When are you going to be with freedom? NEVER! I just can't imagine that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:30 AM on May. 31, 2010

• i would like to say congrats! there is nothing wrong with it. i hope you have a happy healthy pregnancy and baby!
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 11:36 AM on May. 31, 2010

• I think it places a woman in a higher risk category, and with twins, just that much more. However, if a person wants to have a baby at 40-something, then I see no problem with it. My personal experience is that older parents (or first-time parents that are older, at least) tend to be more tuned out to what their kids are doing, but that's just my own experience with it. Our neighbors are 49 and 60. Their kids are 9 and 10. They are brats. The kids are out of control and don't listen to anyone, they mouth off to adults, and the parents defend them saying the kids get picked on and there is no possible way they could mouth off. There are a few other kids like that of older parents at the school. However, those may just be isolated cases, and the parents would have been lousy parents no matter what age they were.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 11:45 AM on May. 31, 2010

• OP here...trust me when I say we were not PLANNING to have another chidl EVER. I had a tubal in 1991. Hubby and I had a lot of grand plans for our child-less years. I thought I'd hit menopause when my period was late even though I am only 43 because being pregnant NEVER entered my mind. It hasn't happened in 18 1/2 years so there was no reason to think it would NOW. We didn't want to be new parents in our 40's, that's why we had our 4 children when we were under 25. However, there's not much we can do about it now. I certainly wouldn't abort a child that is obviously a blessing and I am not about to give a child up for adotion just because he or she arrived when we were planning to travel and such. We'll just be 3 travelling instead of 2. My husband's brothers were 20 and 10 when he was born, btw. His mother had multiple miscarriages in between each of her sons. MY sons will be 24, 23, 20 and 19 when their new sibling arrives.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:45 AM on May. 31, 2010

• Anon :30...OP here. I AM a grandmother. I am 43 and became a grandma at 39 when my 1son became a dad (he was 18) and my oldest son and his wife (he's 23 and she's 27) have a 1yo and she's expecting. We were DONE having children of our own. BTW, people think that I am my grandchildrens mom even though I AM 43. I think more women are having babies in their 40's so it isn't unusual.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:50 AM on May. 31, 2010

• OMG! Thats so special!! Congrats!!!!! I am so happy for you!! GL!! :) :)
    Brandi300

Answer by Brandi300 at 11:53 AM on May. 31, 2010

• I peronally would not want to be that old but its apersonal choice. We have three I was 24,25 and 29 when I had them. AT 29 I knew I would not want to have another child past that age. ALso for me three is enough. I want to be able to run and play and really enjoy them...at lets say 44 I will be 63 when they are 18..no thank you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:54 AM on May. 31, 2010

• My DH's mother was "older" when he was born... And my children have never met their grandmother. She passed long before I ever had the chance to meet him. My grandmother was 46 when she had my Aunt and my Aunt was 4 when she lost her father... Not to mention at 42, 43, 46, you aren't as physically able as you were when you are in your 20's or 30's... Personally, I think Celene Deon getting pregnant at this age is not a big deal, she has more than enough money to support them forever even with a full staff for when she's having a bad day. But due to the fact that her husband is in his 60's I see that as the big issue... Again, my DH's father was in his 60's when he was born, and he was very very young when he lost him. I think having children at those ages is rather selfish because they will loose you so young. Sure, I understand that just because I was in my 20's doesn't mean...

cont...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:12 PM on May. 31, 2010