Can I get a wisdom tooth pulled while pregnant (due in 4 weeks) or while breastfeeding?

I don't know if I can have the drugs and pain killers while breastfeeding or pregnant but my tooth just came out sideways, pointing towards my cheek and hurts every day all day for a few weeks now. Has anyone else had this done? TIA!

Chick

Asked by Chick at 11:25 AM on May. 31, 2010 in Health

• You would need to speak with your OB, they give you a sheet of paper on what you can or can't have that you give to the dentist. It'll have the drugs you're safe to take, and your dentist can discuss anesthetics with you.
    ManicMomma02

Answer by ManicMomma02 at 11:27 AM on May. 31, 2010

• You deffinitely can while BFing. I've had 3 c-sections and my dr gives my hydrocodone for the pain after surgery and she knows I BF. I'm not sure if you can while pregnant because it depends how impacted it is. If they can do it under a local then you can do it while pregnant, but you will not be able to take Ibuprofen for the pain while pregnant and you can while BFing. With only a month left to go, I would wait until after you have the baby to have the tooth removed. Being in that kind of pain while pregnant will be miserable. But doing it while BFing will be a challenge too. You will need someone to wait with the baby in the waiting room, nurse the baby right before the procedure and then nurse right after recovery.

Good luck.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 11:29 AM on May. 31, 2010

• I just had a tooth pulled and I am 30 weeks pregnant. I had very little lidocaine and no pain meds other then tylenol. It sucked to not be able to take anything but I wouldn't risk it, that's just me.
    Anonymous