hamburger safety

ive got frozen hamburger meat up in my freezer dated apr. 12. can i still use it . its still in its orginal wrapping from the store.

stressedoutgran

Asked by stressedoutgran at 11:51 AM on May. 31, 2010 in Food & Drink

• "Yes. Frozen food is good indefinitely, as long as it have been properly wrapped. "

No, it's not good indefinitely. The length of time a frozen food is good depends on what the food is and whether or not it's cooked. I think raw hamburger is 3-4 months in a regular freezer, and 6 months or more in a deep freezer.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 12:18 PM on May. 31, 2010

• This site has some information about food quality and freezing:

http://www.doityourself.com/stry/storefrozenfood
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 12:20 PM on May. 31, 2010

• I think the date stamped on the package is generally a use or freeze by date
    While it's not going to last forever it is probably still good. 4-6 months maybe? I'm not sure on the exact amount of time but you should probably look it up just to be sure.
    SabrinaLC

Answer by SabrinaLC at 1:47 PM on May. 31, 2010

• It also says this on the USDA website:

"Freezer Storage Time
    Because freezing keeps food safe almost indefinitely, recommended storage times are for quality only. "
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 7:59 PM on May. 31, 2010