Question: Is a Bible, a Bible, a Bible??

Recently one of the answers I made (even though not completely wrong) came under fire due in large part to the Bible Translation I use. I have always been a fan of the NWT, but this has also come under fire in this section because it's not widely accepted, even though it holds the record for Best Biblical Translation (Guinness Records). So, I switched to a "Basic English" version. However this is proving to have "flaws" due to small word changes meant to make it "basic english" For example changing "sons & daughters" to "Children" and while this shouldn't be an issue - apparently that simple change is a BIG deal to some who get pissy when non-Christians try to defend Christianity...

Point being, I don't trust the KJV, because it's been proven to have so many mistranslations. I prefer NWT, because it holds the record. BUT, as I stated I quit using it... So, my question is, what makes one bible "better" than another?

cont...

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 12:01 PM on May. 31, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I have seen a number of posts telling others to "Go read a bible" if they aren't all equal, how will someone know which is the right option?

sorry that didn't fit above.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:02 PM on May. 31, 2010

• you're right, people are critical of you even when they don't know what they are being critical of.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 12:07 PM on May. 31, 2010

• I don't think so but there are many who are die hard KJV. To me the differences are minimal and not important. 

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 12:28 PM on May. 31, 2010

• Personally RyansMom, I do see why the differences CAN be an issue. I mean, Jesus DID means something completely different than Jesus WILL... Simple words being mistranslated could change the entire meaning of a verse or even a chapter... So I can understand the reason for SOME of the pickyness. However, it's this exact reason why I stay away from the KJV, because it's been proven to have LOTS of "typos." In contrast the NWT has won awards for being the "most accurate" which is why I used that one... But because of all the issues OTHERS in this section had with the fact that I used an unpopular version, I was looking for something basic that I could use - and I switched to the Dollar Store version... Which still isn't accurate... So I'm just going to go back to NWT and screw them all!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:54 PM on May. 31, 2010

• I think it doesnt matter but I can tell you when I was christian I wouldnt have believed any other version but the KJV because thats what I was taught was the most correct and Id have been used to it.

So, my opinion, is that they hold strongly to the version they grew up with or are told is the most correct or that they are just used to.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 1:05 PM on May. 31, 2010

• My DH says you should try a NIV version. He said that you will still step on some die hard KJV, but it is a better translation and he says it is a more accurate one.... He is the die hard christian in the house so I thought I would ask him to translate what your abbreviations where...

Raine2007

Answer by Raine2007 at 1:22 PM on May. 31, 2010

• The contemporary English version (here) says "Children" as opposed to "sons and daughters" but what I don't understand is the confusion or mistake was - "Children" is essentially the same as "sons and daughters" right?

.Eveningstar.

Answer by .Eveningstar. at 2:20 PM on May. 31, 2010

• Eveningstar, it is... But the point which I was trying to make in the original post was that there were more than 2. How many didn't matter accept to someone who seems to believe that non-Christians have no place having any basic knowledge or understanding of Christianity...

The question here is, is there a bible which can be agreed on? How does one know what is better than others? The widely accepted KJV has been proven over and over to be greatly flawed. The NWT which has won awards for it's accuracy is not generally accepted. And middle of the road bibles such as the Basic English and Contemporary English Versions aren't seen as acceptable at all if the wrong person is reading them... So, what is someone meant to do? Which book do you settle on? One which you know is flawed but is accepted, or one which is not accepted but is accurate, or a middle road version?

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 3:10 PM on May. 31, 2010

• KJV HAS ALWAYS BEEN THE CHOSEN BIBLE.PERSONALLY I LIKE THE NIV VERSION. THE IMPORTANT THING IS THAT YOU READ AND STUDY YOUR BIBLE,NOT WHAT I CHOOSE BUT WHAT YOU CHOOSE. THE KJV IS A LITTLE COMPLCATED FOR ME THATS WHY I CHOSE THE NIV VERSION.WE SHOULDNT TALK HATEFUL TO ONE ANOTHER.GOD KNEW WE WOULDNT ALWAYS THINK ALIKE.WE SHOULD RESPECT EACH OTHER. AND BE KIND TO EACH OTHER.WE ALL HAVE THE SAME IN MIND I SUPPOSE OR AT LEAST I HOPE SO. MISSLJ
    misslj

Answer by misslj at 3:13 PM on May. 31, 2010

• I think it will always depend on who you are dealing with, there are the die hard KJV people but I do not think I have come across anyone who uses other versions have a problem when someone shares a verse with them in another version - usually just those die hard KJV people.

I don't like the KJV either because of the flaws it has. I don't mind any other version myself. I actually like to use biblegateway.com and compare several versions at the same time.

.Eveningstar.

Answer by .Eveningstar. at 3:31 PM on May. 31, 2010