For cosleeping and breastfeeding mamas

I am currently breastfeeding and cosleeping with my 14 month old son. I recently found out I am pregnant with # 2, and need some advice. He still nurses 3 times a day and throughout the night because we cosleep. When the new baby comes i am worried about the arrangement. How did your family adjust to a new baby. Should I move him to a toddler bed and wean him by time the baby comes. I feel like he will still be a baby though and am uncertain. Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:03 PM on May. 31, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You SHOULD move him to his OWN room and STOP co-sleeping. It is NOT good for your relationship with your husband OR good for the kid. He is not learning to be independent.
    Anonymous

• All I can say is good luck! My oldest was a cosleeping breastfeeder when my youngest came along. So we moved him to his own room (he was14months) and my Dh slept in there with him in order to help him get used to it... I had to stop nursing when he was 13 months because I was too big and he didn't ft around the belly...

Point being. My oldest is now 4, the little one will be 3 this summer - and my DH is STILL sleeping in the other room, and the lil one is STiLL sleeping with me... It's a messy situation and we have to correct it, but don't know how. I'm pregnant again too, so, all I say is GOOD LUCK!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:06 PM on May. 31, 2010

• Wow, that didn't take long for the trolls to come out did it... Ignore Anon... My DH and I have been CoSleeping for 4 years - 3 of them in separate rooms, and our relationship is awesome...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:07 PM on May. 31, 2010

• I was in that situation, but my baby was 10 months when I found out I was pregnant again. My milk started to dry out and my baby was nursing all night but still wasn't getting enough, when he was about 13 months. So I weaned him. First I started the weaning and got him off the breast completely. After that I moved him to his own room. It was hard, but we took baby steps.
    Of the three kids I have that was actually the easiest transition from my bed to his own.
    The key is to be consistent and know that you will lose a few night sleep. If you need any tips, you can pm me.
    Good Luck and congratulations on your new LO.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:29 PM on May. 31, 2010

• i got alomst the sane situation 2 years ago, I did one thing at a time , Try to do it in phases and slowly , Like a little bed on the side , You will have to be a little srtong , and the breastfeeding what i did was i chose one breastfeeding moment to take out at a time the nigth one first, then in the morning i wake up before him and had the cup with milk ready for him, all with a smile and with lot of love. Good luck
    violetlady

Answer by violetlady at 12:45 PM on May. 31, 2010

• I have 4 children. All of them have nursed and coslept. When the next one comes along, you'll figure it out. I always worried about it before hand, but it was never an issue. Usually, either the new baby or the toddler would sleep in a cosleeper and the other one in bed w/ us. Or, if you have a big enough bed you can move the toddler over next to your DH and have the baby next to you. If you want to continue bfing, and your pregnancy isn't high risk you are fine to continue as well. I had one child who weaned during a pregnancy, and another child who nursed all through my pregnancy but weaned when the baby was born. But many people do tandem nursing as well.
    sarahmae3

Answer by sarahmae3 at 12:46 PM on May. 31, 2010

• My daughter still comes into my bed at night. We are getting a co sleeper for the baby and a king size bed for us :) I think that in the grand scheme of things it is a wonderful thing to teach your children that you are there for them all the time day or night. And I love the cuddles :)
    Mommy2Gabrielle

Answer by Mommy2Gabrielle at 12:55 PM on May. 31, 2010

• I agree with give it some time and it will work itself out. I was co-sleeping and "all night nursing" with my first when I found out I was pregnant with my 2nd when my first was 9 months old. For a few months that continued to work. when he was about 12 months old I could no longer tolerate the night nursing so I night weaned him. He ended up weaning himself completely at 14 months. I really thought I'd end up tandem nursing, but that is not how it worked out! Just keep doing what you are doing for as long as it works. You have no idea how things will look in a few months!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 12:59 PM on May. 31, 2010

What an ignorant thing to say - studies have shown time and time again that co-sleeping and actions of the like promote independence in children...do some research! the kid is 14 months not 14 yrs1
    alotta_fagina

Answer by alotta_fagina at 2:11 PM on May. 31, 2010

• Oh and it's up to you what to do....you could very well tandem nurse...lots of mommas tandem nurse both a toddler and a newborn. It's wholly possible. Or you could try and wean him, it's your choice.
    alotta_fagina

Answer by alotta_fagina at 2:12 PM on May. 31, 2010