Are you extra fertile within the first 6 weeks after giving birth or when you have your first actual period or both?

Ok i have heard several times that you are more fertile after giving birth but here is my question ! ok so is it that you are more fertile right after you have the baby like the first 6 weeks? I bleed of course right after i had him but i only bleed for 2 weeks then i stopped and he was born april 1st then i started my period may 16th so would i be more fertile now? i'm just scared of going through it all again lol just wanted to know what my chances are of becoming prego cuz my hubby and i have been like rabits sorry i know its to much info but i figured i would let you know why i'm asking lol! thanks for reading and hopfully i will get some helpful answers

WifeMother2

Asked by WifeMother2 at 12:45 PM on May. 31, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Actually, you are more fertile for almost 2 years. The first 6 months you are MUCH more fertile.
    imamommmmyyy

Answer by imamommmmyyy at 12:59 PM on May. 31, 2010

• The only reason you're considered "more fertile" is because your cycles can be seriously screwed up after having a baby; if you had regular 28-day cycles like clockwork before getting pregnant, it won't necessarily be that way after giving birth, especially right away. Therefore, your fertile days are liable to be at different points in your cycle than they were pre-pregnancy, so while you may think that you're not going to be fertile for several days, because of the whacked-up hormones, it could happen sooner or later than expected, and...possible pregnancy. But even with perfect timing, your actual chances of getting pregnant are no higher than normal, just the timing might not be as easily predicted.

If you want to predict fertility, check out Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler or FertilityFriend.com. Otherwise, just use some kind of birth control.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 1:27 PM on May. 31, 2010

• I don't know about more fertile but I got pregnant when my daughter was just barely 4 months old. I am now going to have two girls .... 13 months apart. =)
    ALSO FYI for those of you that didn't know...if you are on anti-biotics, the morning after pill does NOT work.
    Anonymous

• ok now i have something new to add to my question i'm now spottin just a tad bit could i still be prego?
    WifeMother2

Answer by WifeMother2 at 3:06 PM on May. 31, 2010