To delay or skip MMR vaccine?

I have 2 kids, 3 years old a 4 month old. My son is up to date on all his vaccines, but a few months after had the MMR when he turned 1, I found out that my husband's older brother suffered some very bad reactions to the MMR vaccine, including seizures. As a result, my DH has never had the vaccine. I'm really debating whether or not I should get the 2nd dose for my son. He never had a problem the first time around. I'm also debating whether or not I should get the vaccine for my DD at her 1 year check up or delay it some. I don't know very much about delaying or selectively vaccinating so I was hoping for some feedback from the moms who do so. Thanks!

Journey311

Asked by Journey311 at 1:52 PM on May. 31, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Don't let people on here bully you into making a hasty decision. You can take the time to research and decide for yourself. People telling you that moms who choose not to vaccinate are irrational, irresponsible and causing widespread disease are not only ridiculous and out of touch but they are also bullying you into their way of thinking. You have every right to question. These are your kids and you have to do what is best for them. (I do recommend you look into the Choosing Not to Vaccinate group to learn more. They will give you info and not bully you)
    And as for those of you are talking about the importance of all of us vaccinating for the sake of the herd, community, whatever - all talk of autism and MMR aside, my daughter had a serious reaction to a vaccine.
    Tell me this, why is the good of the herd more important than the life of my child?????
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 7:16 PM on May. 31, 2010

• check out the group, Choosing Not o Vaccinate. They will give you more info than you can read in a month! Personally we don't vax at all but I'm not going to tell you that is the right thing for your family. Join the group, they will help, I promise!
    NoahsMomma418

Answer by NoahsMomma418 at 2:06 PM on May. 31, 2010

• Oh, For the love of God, PLEASE do not buy into all this vaccine's cause such and such crap. It's very important that ALL CHILDREN be immunized.. if not for your own selfish reasons, please think of everyone else. Then nonvaccinated kids are causing an extreme rise in diseases we had combated years earlier. It's imperative that these diseases do not get back into society. The guy that started all that autism because of vaccine crap is now being found to be a fraud and has, in fact been kicked out of countries for what he has started in this impending doom trend. PLEASE DO NOT BUY INTO THIS MEDIA HYPE> Get your child the vaccine he needs. In fact, in the near future, I see nonvaccinated parents being forced to vaccinate. It's the only way.
    Anonymous

• I agree with Anon. If children are not vaccinated it affects our herd immunity and more and more of these diseases that are under control are going to resurface and kill our children. I would rather have my kids have a few reactions to the shots than die!
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 2:29 PM on May. 31, 2010

• My answer would be, I understand your concern because of a family history of reactions. I will also point out that:

1. Vaccines have changed drastically since our generation got them. They have been trying very much to reduce side-effects by reducing the amount of live virus and adding other ingredients (no mercury in MMR now) to strengthen the reaction to the bit of virus in there.
    2. Your son already had one vaccine with no reaction. It's not likely he'll have one for the second.
    3. As far as I know, the measles vaccine is known to cause seizures extremely rarely, but these are related to the same thing that causes seizures in measles patients. With vaccination rates dropping, consider that your child's chances of seizing are much higher if he gets measles.

I have read half the Internet about vaccines. My favorites are the CDC and justthevax.com. My children are fully vaccinated. GL
    MamaZoya

Answer by MamaZoya at 2:31 PM on May. 31, 2010

• Was the older brother's reaction to the first or second round? We don't delay or selectively vax so I can't help too much there, but it might help to find out which round the older brother reacted to (that will tell you if it was an allergy and possibly when you could expect it to present- allergies rarely pop up on first exposure), and to speak with your ped about the possibility of allergies to a component of the MMR vaccine. If the pediatrician is aware of a family history of allergic reactions to that vaccine they may be able to offer some options too.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 2:34 PM on May. 31, 2010

• ". Then nonvaccinated kids are causing an extreme rise in diseases we had combated years earlier."

Really? Do you have any links to this?
    Anonymous

Really? Do you have any links to this?
    Anonymous

Really? Do you have any links to this?
    Anonymous

• He doesn't need a second dose if he still has immunity. Have a blood titre done to check for immunity. You can delay the mmr for the youngest until age 2 , 3, 4, 5 (maybe when your oldest goes to school}. Your choice. also check for measles and mumps frequency in your area.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 5:00 PM on May. 31, 2010