ovulation

On birth control I had a 28 day cycle. (Duh most women do) my question is once off birth control do you ovulate the same? My last cycle was may 13 the cycle before that was april 8. That's 32 day. We have been TTC and doing the do everyday. Hope my chances are higher this month.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:56 PM on May. 31, 2010 in Trying to Conceive

• It varies from woman to woman. For some women, it "cures" their irregularity permanently, giving them regular cycles from that point on (or until something hormonal happens to mess it up again, like more BC, pregnancy, birth, etc.); for others (like myself), the irregularity comes right back after the BC.

The best thing you can do is chart your cycle. Check out Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler and FertilityFriend.com for some good pointers. That will tell you for sure when/whether you ovulate every cycle, when to expect your period (or not), when you're most fertile, etc. It takes all the guesswork out of it.

Also, if you're not charting, having sex every other day is more than sufficient, and keeps the "good" sperm from being depleted.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 2:06 PM on May. 31, 2010

• No, what happens on BC is not really a cycle, you're most likely NOT ovulating while on it. You will need to chart your cycle to see what's going on, when and if you're ovulating.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 5:16 PM on May. 31, 2010

• As soon as I went off the pill I started using an ovulation predictor kit for the first 3 cycles and by the third cycle I knew the day of ovulation 2 days before it happened. The kit was called "answers ovulation kit" and it cost about $20 and I think it had 20 strips in it that you dipped in your first pee of the day. This one was the best buy for your money, it worked for me. We got pregnant on the first month we ttc.Good luck
    wood1980

Answer by wood1980 at 4:54 AM on Jun. 1, 2010