Why is it people think that Hispanics are not American?

I once watched a wrestling match where a Hispanic wrestler came out carrying an American Flag and the announcer said something to the effect of 'wait...isn't this guy Mexican?'

We put up a flag today and my nieghbor came over to visit and jokingly asked me why we had an American Flag up. I was like 'because I am American!' I have no ties to Mexico, I have never even been there. I am Hispanic, probably of Mexican origin, but I AM American.

So I asked her if she was American because her ancestors are from Germany. I don't know if I got my point across.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:15 PM on May. 31, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I have no idea, but probably because there are sooooooooo many illegal immigrants nowdays they just assume if you're hispanic, you're Mexican.
    Anonymous

• I don't feel that way , I know a lot of Americans who came from other latin countries, it doesn't make them less than any other american.

Answer by older at 2:19 PM on May. 31, 2010

• Yeah, I guess so, but to Mexicans we are considered American. I was recently at a school sponsored party for my daughter and her friends mom who is Mexican introduced us to her friends as American.
    Anonymous

• I think it's the ignorance of the media that has brain washed everyone. People often make rediculous assumptions, but like the first poster said, there is such a controversey over this illegal immigration business that people are also letting thier anger cloud thier voice of reasoning.
    It's sad but unfortunately it's the truth......
    Liz30355

Answer by Liz30355 at 2:22 PM on May. 31, 2010

• OP here I just wanted to mention that I come from a military family. There are alot of Veterans in my family. I myself would do anything for this country and am grateful and proud to be an American. I am also instilling these same feelings into my children. I was just talking to them about how lucky we are to be Americans and how they should never take it for granted.
    Anonymous

• I can't believe your neighbor said that too you! Why is it people think they can just say whatever they want to whoever they want to, anymore?
    AutumnLybbie

Answer by AutumnLybbie at 2:53 PM on May. 31, 2010

• Liz, I totally agree with your statement!

And, Autumn, I could answer your question, but you would not like the answer, nor would you agree with it. But, I really do know why......
    29again

Answer by 29again at 3:12 PM on May. 31, 2010

• "I could answer your question, but you would not like the answer, nor would you agree with it. But, I really do know why....."

Please share with the rest of us, I would like to know... seriously, not being snarky.
    Anonymous

• If your born here then yes you are an American. But I don't consider illegal immigrants Americans. You don't see Americans going down to claiming to be Mexicans in Mexico.
    Apple_Pie2010

Answer by Apple_Pie2010 at 5:05 PM on May. 31, 2010

• Well, I think it has something to do with the way the Hispanic community as a group make it very clear they consider themselves as Mexicans living somewhere else. Case in point - the Cinco De Mayo controversy in CA. Students were admonished for wearing American flag t-shirts, in America on a Mexican holiday. If you want us to think of you, Hispanics, as Americans (as a whole group), stop acting as if you aren't (as a group). It is never the individual that you know that gives this opinion. I know many Hispanics who are not of the mind set of the vocal few (or the Americans who carry the banner for the Hispanics in some misplaced effort to "help" this group. They hurt them more than they help.)

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 5:35 PM on May. 31, 2010