boobie infections........i ALWAYS get them!

a few questions.
WHY do I keep getting these mastis infections and Ive noticed I only get them when I wear my bra (wire or non-wire). My bra doesnt fit tight wear it sits on my ducts or anything but I've noticed when I wear my bra my boobs fill up faster which I think in turn I get a clogged duct...but why do they do this? Also.......I am always getting these things, and they knock me out for three days until the lil one can suck it all out.....I need to be able to take care of my babies.....is this an indication that I should switch to bottles?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:57 PM on May. 31, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If it's clearing up when your baby nurses, then you aren't getting mastitis. You are just getting engorged which is super normal for the first month of nursing until your body regulates its milk production.

Mastitis is an infection that will only clear up with an antibiotic. Without an antibiotic, mastitis gets rapidly worse and turns into an abscess. The symptoms of mastitis are a high fever (usually over 102), body aches and chills, and a red warm spot on the breast.

Neither would be an indication that you need to switch your baby on formula. I nursed my first baby through 2 months of mastitis that turned into staph. I'm allergic to a lot of antibiotics, so my doctors had trouble treating my infection. I've also nursed through 6 months of thrush. You can nurse through just about anything.

If you're running fever, you need to call your OB. Other wise, just continue to feed on demand and it will work itself out.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 3:04 PM on May. 31, 2010

• No, NOT an indication to switch. It IS an indication that you need professional fitting. Most women wear the wrong bra,. whether breastfeeding or not.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:22 PM on May. 31, 2010

• I got severe infections 3 times when I BF.... I noticed I got it from underwire bras, I also would get a 104 temp and need antibiotics
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 3:33 PM on May. 31, 2010

• i've had it enough to know what it is-thank you. and the baby can get it out if it isnt severe. I've had it many times and if baby can not get it out within three to four days then its time for meds....and it is mastis...I do have a fever and redness...it just isnt abscessed yet which is when you let it go without proper treatment for TOO long like weeks........I got one really bad with my first baby and needed meds and when they put me on the meds they told me I couldnt nurse at all while on the meds so I had to stop nursing cold turkey.
    Anonymous

• I'm afraid you were possible given incorrect info regarding not being able to nurse on the meds. MOST meds are safe, but it's possible you were taking one that wasn't safe. I'm just speaking that IN GENERAL, MOST meds for mastitis are compatible with nursing.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:43 PM on May. 31, 2010

• it wasnt safe to take they said.....they said because i kept getting it with the other meds that were safe that they werent going to work or something so they had to give me the not safe ones.

Anonymous

• Um darlin you have to be treated for MASTITIS within 24 hours of getting it or it can become septic and you can die. You are thinking of clogged milk ducts. I had Mastitis 7 times with my son and it's from him biting me while nursing and bacteria working it's way up into the ducts. With Mastitis you will get flu like symptoms and a severe fever. You have been misinformed about Mastitis. Also you WANT to nurse when you have Mastitis so the baby can help clear the infection. That is WHILE on the meds, too.
    Anonymous

• OP here. I am completely confused!! when I nursed my son I got the same thing several times that I have going on right now....they treated it with my son and always told me it was mastitis....I am having the SAME symptoms, high fever, redness and soreness....but after three days of my little one nursing WONDERFULLY it goes away. ?!?!?! I thought clogged ducts are what causes mastitis and mastitis is just what the infection is called that you get from a clogged duct.....mastitis can get WORSE by abscessing if not treated........So every time I get red soreness and a fever I should run to the doctor?!? I get them so much it doesn't even seem worth breastfeeding anymore...I need to be able to take care of baby and not be sick. What does this do to my breast health?!
    Anonymous