At what age should a young girl start to use a tampon?

I ask this question bc I now have a young dd and I know in about 3 yrs. She might be starting hers soon I would rather her use pads for her size/age. but I remember when my sd started she was 10 and her mom let her use tampons I was like what? then again I never knew little girls could use them bc of their hymen that we have when we r young.
Your thoughts...Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:17 PM on May. 31, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• i used one. i didnt think it was a problem?????
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 3:19 PM on May. 31, 2010

• I started my period at 12. My mom didn't let me wear tampons until I was 13. I had to use pads that first year. I think it's not good to start tampons too young. You want them to be mature enough to take good care of themselves when they wear tampons, not leaving them in too long, etc. Also, they can be really uncomfortable and difficult to use if they are too young/small.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 3:26 PM on May. 31, 2010

• I don't see why it matter hand her both and let her pick. I never used pads because the thought of the blood just sitting on you is nasty..
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 3:47 PM on May. 31, 2010

• i used tampons from the age of 12 to 19 (when i got preggers with DS#1)
    I have used pads since then unless i am going somewhere that i feel more comfortable without my purse.
    MomOfDagJag

Answer by MomOfDagJag at 3:50 PM on May. 31, 2010

• I STARTED MY PERIOD WHEN I WAS 11 & DUE TO WNTING TO SWIM USED TAMPONS SO I THINK IT'S FINE THEY MAKE THEM FOR TEENS
    ALOUDWHISPER

Answer by ALOUDWHISPER at 4:06 PM on May. 31, 2010

• I started using tampons when I was 12 and I'll let my daughter use them whenever she chooses to. She is almost 9 and knows about both pads and tampons, how they work, etc. But I won't ever tell her no to using tampons - I would hate for her to miss out on swimming a whole summer or more because I wouldn't let her wear one!

Answer by missanc at 4:07 PM on May. 31, 2010

• well - not a whole summer, but almost a week every month anyway

• I started my period when i was 11. and my mom let me choose. i went with pads at first becase it was easier for me, I tried tampons at 13 and still couldnt use them. but i dont see anything wrong with letting a young girl use them, as long as they are properly educated on the use
    faithandaddysma

Answer by faithandaddysma at 4:13 PM on May. 31, 2010

• Well, they make really small tampons- I don't see the issue in her using them even at the age of ten. I'm sure there are ten year olds out there that are already 'exploring' there.
    Quatrekins

Answer by Quatrekins at 5:30 PM on May. 31, 2010

• I started my period when I was almost 13 and didn't start using tampons until I was about 15ish. I think the fear behind the tampon is not the fact of damaging the hymen (as it naturally has a hole in it anyways and tampon companies say it won't hurt it), it's for TTS (toxic shock syndrome). The onset symptoms of it can seem like a fever, but it is very serious and can be deadly if not treated right away.

Let your daughter explore tampons when she's ready as the whole starting a period thing can be kinda scary and overwhelming to young girls. I didn't ask my mom if I could start using them as I thought it was all kind of embarrassing, I just started using hers when I was ready. I think she got the hint and stopped buying me pads. lol!
    things_not_sane

Answer by things_not_sane at 5:40 PM on May. 31, 2010