How did you wean your baby?

I'm getting ready to wean my son, I've been told that doing so abrubtly is bad because it can cause depression in both the mom and baby.

so how should I do this exactly? will I just stop producing milk one day?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:43 PM on May. 31, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• well first i would like to ask you why you want to wean???

that being said if you are going to do it, without following the babies cues, then you start by dropping one nursing session a week. Try the "snack" one first, and distract him with something else. each week add a new nursing time to your drop list. make sure that the night nursing is the last one to go. it seems to be the one that most babies get the most comfort from.
    MomOfDagJag

Answer by MomOfDagJag at 3:46 PM on May. 31, 2010

• BTW good luck
    MomOfDagJag

Answer by MomOfDagJag at 3:47 PM on May. 31, 2010

• Drop ione session per week till gone, replacing with formula if baby is less than a year old. Replace how you like if baby is more than a year old. Don't expect cooperation, though, if it's not baby's idea.

I weaned by letting HIM do it. I did nothing. He weaned at 26 months.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:09 PM on May. 31, 2010

• Perfect timing! I am in the process of weaning my son as well. I am extremely sad because I loved breastfeeding him. It was just starting to get impossible with work and school and my incredibly busy life! He also wasn't satisfied with my breast milk no matter how much good food I ate and how much I pumped. I went from breastfeeding him every time to every other, then just a couple times a day. It also depends on your milk production (make sure that you pump a couple times a day so you don't get an infection until it's completely gone!) Good luck! Also, if your baby doesn't seem like they like formula or other solids just remember they will eat it if they are hungry enough. My son HATED formula and now he eats it no problem!
    BraydonsMama262

Answer by BraydonsMama262 at 4:27 PM on May. 31, 2010

• braydonsmama why dont you pump one day when you have time a lot and stock up on it?
    Anonymous

• This won't help you any but mine slapped at my breast and didn't want to have anything to do with BFing once she was 13 months. Rather depressing on my part:(
    Anonymous

• I let my son drop feedings gradually because that was most comfortable for both of us. If you give it up cold turkey your breasts will swell and hurt a lot and your baby will probably be very confused. By the time he was 11 months he was only nursing 3x a day (for naps and bedtime). When he was 12 months it went to just bedtime. Soon after it became just an occasional comfort nurse if he got hurt or something, not every day or even every other day. I did swell some but he didn't miss the breast and my milk production was less and less. I think the last time he nursed at all was his 15 month checkup, he wanted to comfort nurse after his shots, but I don't think he got more than a few drops and he gave up.
    ohbladi

Answer by ohbladi at 6:21 PM on May. 31, 2010

• DD weaned on her own at 13 mos, and DS still nurses at night, and will be 3 in Aug. Best way, as G said, under 12 mos, replace one feeding per week with formula. After 12 mos, drop one feeding per week, you can instead offer cow's milk, water, almond milk, snuggle time, rice milk, a story, anything really.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:41 PM on May. 31, 2010