It it okay to take my 3 month old in the pool?

Hey Moms! My husband and I were going to walk up to the pool today and maybe dip our son in the water (unless it's too cold!) Do you think this will scare him? Should we wait? Will the chlorine affect his skin? I was just gonna keep it real shallow, like up on the stairs where he can't slip out of my hands!

BraydonsMama262

Asked by BraydonsMama262 at 4:20 PM on May. 31, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• SURE!!! I used to teach infant and parent swimming lessons (actually water adjustment lessons), and the younger they are the better! Just wading around in the water, gentle bobbing, light sprinkling of water, letting him splash and feel the water are great ways to acclimate him to the pool! Bring a small plastic watering can to sprinkle over him, sing nursery rhymes, make funny faces, etc--make it FUN!

I started teaching my boys (now 8 and 6) swimming when they were 5-6 months old (winter babies), and continued at the Y in the fall/winter. By the time they were 4 they were swimming completely independently of me--and they have special needs! :o)

Just be sure to put on PLENTY of sunscreen, cover his head with a wide brimmed hat, and wear "Little Swimmers" diapers (they won't explode!). Keep sessions to about 30 minutes at a time with a break in between. When you're done slather him with Baby Lotion! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 4:28 PM on May. 31, 2010

• go swimming mamma. your lil one will probably love it. just be responsible when it comes to the sun, and don't let him out of your sight! test the water on his skin before you dip in, just in case he does have a reaction to it. I think you'll be just fine. we took my neice out when she was a month old and held her in there with us...she LOVED it.
    good luck!
    Adeline1210

Answer by Adeline1210 at 4:23 PM on May. 31, 2010

• Yes it is perfectly fine! He might get scared...but its a good to start taking them young so they get used to it and arnet scared later on.
    Lobelia

Answer by Lobelia at 4:24 PM on May. 31, 2010

• Oh and be sure to rinse the chlorine off when you leave. it might irritate the skin.
    Lobelia

Answer by Lobelia at 4:25 PM on May. 31, 2010