HCG levels and.... obesity?

I am a nice person, I recycle, I iron my husbands socks and read to my kids every night. I am also what the government probably calls morbidly obese. It feels to my DH and I that I am pregnant, as I am usually super regular but now 22 days late. However, home test was neg. We were both quite shocked. Wondering if being obese can delay proper hcg level readings?

PS tried to "google" this for research but since they apparently use HCG for weight loss, it's impossible to find any answers there.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:28 PM on May. 31, 2010 in Trying to Conceive

• No, it shouldn't. Sometimes if you miss a period it can be because you did not ovulate... ovulation is what triggers your period. You may have had an anovulatory cycle, where no egg was released and no period was triggered. Can you see your doctor and ask for a blood hcg test (that will rule pregnancy in or out definitely) and perhaps provera to jump start a period if the test is negative?
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 4:44 PM on May. 31, 2010

• I honestly don't thin weight affects a pregnancy test, but I'm not too sure. Best thing to do is go in for a blood test.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 4:43 PM on May. 31, 2010

• Weight doesn't affect a pregnancy test. I agree with pp'ers - I would get a blood test, and if it shows up negative, I would follow-up.
    ManicMomma02

Answer by ManicMomma02 at 5:13 PM on May. 31, 2010

• No your weight should not affect your HCG levels at all.

I would go to the doctor or a local draw station to request a Quantitive HCG (blood test) which are often more accurate. If that says negative I would start charting because there is a chance that your cycle has lengthened due to your weight. It's common for over weight women to have long cycles. I should know...I'm one of them!

You can also try asking for an ultra sound to see if they can see a pregnancy but chances are if both the HPT and the Quantitive HCG came back negative that you are not pregnant.

If you would like to get pregnant start charting, take Fertility Blend, and don't let anyone tell you that weight is the only factor in hindering pregnancy because weight only accounts for a very small amount of the fertility issues out there.
    Anonymous