tough question

I am a teacher at a public school and I had a 4th grader ask me where do you go when you die? I am a christian and I believe we go to heaven or hell however I don't know what this family believes. I asked her what she thought and she said she didn't know. I told her I would get back to her and started teaching again but what should I tell her?

ntschetter

Asked by ntschetter at 4:33 PM on May. 31, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• As a Christian I believe we should share the truth with her. Being a teacher I would pull her aside and talk to her about it.
    Emma7-11-09

Answer by Emma7-11-09 at 4:35 PM on May. 31, 2010

• Tell her that is a question better left for her parents to answer and she should ask them.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 4:38 PM on May. 31, 2010

• I would tell her that this is a personal question that is better left to her mom or dad to answer, and that there are a lot of different ideas about what happens after death but realistically no one knows for sure.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 4:49 PM on May. 31, 2010

• tell her to ask her parents. Emma- if you decided to share your corrupt verison of "truth" with my child, i would have your job.

Anonymous

• I'd probably explain to her that lots of people have different beliefs, and tell her what yours are, but tell her to ask her parents what theirs are.
    AshleyBDG

Answer by AshleyBDG at 4:59 PM on May. 31, 2010

• I would tell her to ask her parents, and give the parents a call to let them know she's asking you and that since you didn't know their views, you didn't tell her yours.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 5:00 PM on May. 31, 2010

• My mother is a retired teacher and she has been asked this question.  Her answer was that it wasn't her place to discuss spiritual beliefs with her students and they needed to discuss it with their parents.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 5:03 PM on May. 31, 2010

• It is such a shame that we have to be concerned about telling children the truth when it is asked of us. Our pastor preached on this very subject just last night at Sunday evening services. As long as you preface your answer with "I believe", you should be able to say anything you like. Your beliefs are your beliefs and everyone is entitled to that much, except Christians, it would seem!
    Anonymous

• I am Pagan and I know that if my son asked his teacher that question, I would appreciate a note in his agenda/planner or even a sticky note home to let me know. It might be okay to go with something neutral like: I am happy that you asked me that, but it might be a question that you and I should talk to your parents about. You could say that when someone dies, their family members are sad and get together to remember their loved one. You could explain that most people die when they are old and not young. It might even help to explain that may people believe in different things.
    Personally, I respect religion and your personal beliefts, but I would feel angry and upset as well as hurt if you explained your personal thoughts without first letting me know.
    booboosarahkity

Answer by booboosarahkity at 5:11 PM on May. 31, 2010

• i agree with anon 31.....pray about it....and dont be afraid to tell the little one what you believe. if you get called out on it. let them know you were asked by her and you answered the question with what you believed to be true. you were not preaching nor were you confronting students about the issue. let them know you were aproached with it answered it in most honest answer you could. after wards pray for the Lords will to be done. dont be afraid to work for HIM. he will bless you for it.
    Anonymous