Did you have postpartum depression after your baby was born? Did you tell anybody?

I went through postpartum depression with both my daughters. The first time I was too ashamed to tell anyone and with my second daughter I told my pcp and joined a group. I want to get an idea of how many moms go through this too. Please also visit my page, I now have a group called Postpartum Depression and Blues- I would love as many moms to join as possible.

kittymom83

Asked by kittymom83 at 4:41 PM on May. 31, 2010 in Health

• Yes, I had it, and I told people. I was not ashamed of it, I jumped on getting it treated early, and knew it was just my hormones acting funny.

I'm pregnant again now, and will certainly be staying alert for any signs of getting it again.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 12:53 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• I didn't with my son, however, I was accused of it by a social worker... Grr.
    With my daughter, yes, I did, and yes, I did tell my OB. I had a severe health issue/complication from my pregnancy with my daughter, which also caused my PPD to be pretty severe. I'm okay now, and coping with my issue. :]
    ManicMomma02

Answer by ManicMomma02 at 4:53 PM on May. 31, 2010

• I had three children, and I didn't have it with any of them. None of my friends did either. In fact, I never even heard of it until fairly recently. I can't help but wonder if the changes we have all made in our life styles and the greater distance both emotionally and geographically haven't added to the preponderance of all kinds of depression. I am thankful that I was able to thoroughly enjoy each of my children.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 5:02 PM on May. 31, 2010

• NannyB, my DH's grandmother suffered PPD with her last child.
    Anonymous

• yup i had it. mostly because we had just moved into our own place and everything was so new and it was all a big rush it seemed like. The part that probably made me the most crazy was that no one taught me how to properly breast feed. the nurse in the hospital only showed me once. the nurse that came to see me didn't even offer to show me how. i really wanted to learn. so that ticked me off. and also the part where i had to go back to work just two weeks after having my son really tossed me over board.

I didn't tell my DH (he could have guessed it though ha) but I did tell my PCP. I was on celexa and i felt much better. and i was only on it for a few months.
    Anonymous

• Lots of moms go through this! It's nothing to be ashamed of and it's not something you did or didn't do that causes it. I had it and told my Dr and he put me on Zoloft and it made a world of difference.
    Anonymous

• thanks moms for all your answers!
    kittymom83

Answer by kittymom83 at 6:34 PM on May. 31, 2010

• I didn't have depression, but I did have anxiety. I finally talked to my doctor about it and now I'm on a low-dose of Celexa, and it's really helped. I think that anxiety after childbirth might actually fall into the category of PPD, but mine wasn't too severe, and I was happy, just anxious...so I'm not really sure if I had it or not, lol.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 8:14 PM on May. 31, 2010

• Hiya, to the LovingSAHMommy- I understand what you are saying. There are also moms that only have the anxiety part of it but not the depression. I'm glad to hear that you found something that worked for you and the good thing is that it will pass. Thats what I always had to tell myself when I was at my worst and it made me feel better.
    kittymom83

Answer by kittymom83 at 11:08 PM on May. 31, 2010

• I am experiencing this right now. I only had baby blues for a couple of weeks with my son, so when I had my daughter, i just brushed it off as the same thing, but it has lingered and gotten worse. The doctor said I am mildly depressed and did not suggest intervention at this time but ordered me to call in if it got worse. I don't think I'm bad enough to need meds either. But I'll tell you that having a husband who could not give a damn really worsens it. All the feelings, aprehensions and guilt do not go away when your husband is not supportive. I would say that is the most important thing when dealing with PPD.
    Anonymous