DO most kids do this while being potty trained?

My dd is 18 months old will be 19 months in 4 days, This is day 7 of potty training and we never had any accidents today mommy and daddy are so proud of her!!
but she hasent had a poop now in 2 days, she do have a problem with her bowels and is seeing a peditrician about it and is on meds, but i was wondering if it is common for a child to hold her poop while she is being potty trained?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:32 PM on May. 31, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I didn't think you could ever start anything too early...My son is 14 1/2 months and we have been starting potty training for a while now at least a few months. We just sit him on there and try to get him to go and get really excited and clap and sing the potty song when he pees in there. We don't enforce it really hard or anything but I think that trying can not hurt anything...I could not imagine waiting until he is 3 or 4 I think that is waiting way too long to start.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 7:16 PM on May. 31, 2010

• It's very common when parents thry to potty train too early. 18 months is WAY too early. Young children can have very serious problems from holding their poop in including impactions and fistulas. A good age to start thinking about it may be 2.5. Some kids are 3-4 before they are ready to potty train.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:57 PM on May. 31, 2010

• Gailll...3 and 4?

They should def start by the time they are 2.
    Anonymous

• Please don't listen to Gaill!!!! Yes it is normal, my son did it too, he got over it in about 2 weeks. And by the way he was the same age as your dd. Just try and talk to her about pooping on the potty and see if it helps her along.
    newmomma14

Answer by newmomma14 at 7:28 PM on May. 31, 2010

• Gail is not right... Holding poop is much more common in 3 and 4 year-olds. I read a study of it and stool refusal during potty training was something that was unheard of before the recent trends in really, really late potty training. both my girls trained around 18 months. My second daughter was pooping only in the potty by 16 months, though. You sound right on track... Just keep her diet high in fiber and don't make a big deal of a poop accident if it happens. I'd try sitting her on the potty about 15 minutes after a meal with a stack of her favorite books... most likely she'll relax and take care of business. Keep up the good work, all of you!!
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:34 PM on May. 31, 2010

• Take a look at this... interesting points about potty training age... she also talks a little about stool refusal. Good luck.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kirsten-dirksen/who-decides-when-to-potty_b_265227.html
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:39 PM on May. 31, 2010

• My daughter had the same issue when she was potty training and her ped said that it was normal for that to happen when they first start potty training. She jus suggested giving her miralax everyday for awhile until she started back using it. I got it, but literally within the next 2 days she started going on the potty herself without using the miralax. The first time she used it she had a hard time and I had to stand there and make her stay on there till she finished, but she did and I never had a issue after that. The miralax is still good to mix in their drink anytime they start having issues though.
    momoftwokids547

Answer by momoftwokids547 at 9:18 PM on May. 31, 2010

• This is probably the first time this has ever happened... but I agree with Gaill. :) Our ped said that children are RARELY truly ready to potty train before 2. Retaining stool can cause BIG problems for a little one. Once the colon gets stretched it can take YEARS to return to its regular size. 2.5-3 children gain true control over their bowels.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 9:48 PM on May. 31, 2010

• Okay, we had this problem and my LO went to pooping in her diaper when I put one on at nap or bed time. I accidentally got her up to early this weekend and she told our sitter who was my mom that she needed to poop. She pooped on the potty on Sunday and yesterday. Don't make a big deal out of it. My DD has had control of her bowels for months and isn't quite 2. You are doing a great job and I can say that I never agree with Gaill. Just keep doing what you are doing and she will get it.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:46 AM on Jun. 1, 2010

• my son has been telling me "no" when I ask if he has to go poop, then he has a poop accident in his underwear or on the floor a few minutes later. It's a new feeling to poop without the cushioning of the diaper and the muscle control is also a new feeling (different feeling than bladder control). Like you want to offer lots of drinks for peeing, it wouldnt hurt to offer high fiber foods. I was told to "stalk" the child. If you see she has to go poop, or if she tells you she has to go poop, rush her to the potty. I was also told the first time is always the hardest, but once they do it, it's easier for them the second time and so on (every child is different lol). Sounds like you are doing a great job! Just stay consistant and patient :)
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 11:56 AM on Jun. 1, 2010