Ahh. Do you have to deal with a MIL like mine?

My husbands brother's 2 kids (who are 10 and 11) live with my MIL .... and I have a 4 year old and 2 year old... we go and visit about every week, and it is nice to see MIl & FIL, but niece and nephew are such brats it is hard to have a good time, MIL has a new house and has let the kids destroy it ( holes and crayons on the walls, the floor was once tan, but is now DARK BROWN, the furniture which is also new is colored on and covered in holes, its just filthy - not to mention the mountains of clothes and toys).

Anyways there has been a few times this has happened but today just made me so mad ! My 4 year old daughter, found a Dragon Tales book ( it was in the "baby toy box-- the box of things they have outgrown but MIL hasnt gotten rid of yet) ... anyways my daughter has become obsessed with dragon tales, and was excited when she found it so she spent the whole day reading it and carrying it around ... Continued

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:03 PM on May. 31, 2010 in Just for Fun

• MIL told her she could have it, because she asked her daddy if he would read it to her at bedtime... she was really excited about this book.... well of course MIl HAD to ASK 11 year old neice if my daughter could have it first, she said NO, grabbed it out of my daughters hand, took it in the other room and threw it on the floor and got back on the computer ( which she is on 24/7) ... and my MIl was just like.." OH sorry" , and of course my daughter was upset too...

Now I know that could sound selfish on My side...but this isnt the first time it has happened...on easter my husband grandma dropped off an outfit each for my kids ... well neice "accidently" opened my daugters and decided to wear the cute dress... mind you that my daughter wears a 4T-5T and she wears a size 8 in girls ( if can imagine how snug it was on her) ... MIL said well my daughter can have it after she is done playing with it !

Grrrrrrr!
    Anonymous

• If you know how mil is then you need to anticipate and mediate. You should have said that the cousin need to be asked if she was done with the book and if your daughter could have it. If it's her book, she should be asked.

It's wonderful your mil is raising her two grandchildren. I am a grandmother of only one grandson. It's hard taking care of grandkids when you are older! I'm sure she had other plans for this stage of her life and it's tough to be stuck with the responsibility of taking care of grandchildren. Perhaps you could help out by taking the kids on Wed. and every other weekend if they don't have visitation with parents.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 7:20 PM on May. 31, 2010

• gaill -- she does this with everything though ( even with stuff that isnt hers ( neices) like the dress....the book was in a pile of stuff to give away, and my DH asked her if she even watched dragon tales, and neice said " whats Dragon Tales?" ...so thats shows you right there that she did it just to be mean....

Also BIL lives there too, he helped buy the house ( its a huge one) ....but we did use to take niece and nephew on trips and to come her for visitss ( we live in different towns) .... but they will not listen at all and we cant control them, so now it is a rare thing.
    Anonymous

• I have one of those MILs...she is raising my SILs twin girls cuz my SIL is unfit to be a mother...she doesnt change diapers, locks kids in their room so she can bang whoever she is seeing at the time and just horrible...well anyways...MIL is raising the twins (age 5) and she lets them tear everything up...they have the nastiest house I have ever seen...cockroaches and mice and the whole nine yards...I used to come over and clean for them but I stopped cuz they treated me like a maid...they even left dirty dishes everywhere from the night before...my solution...my kids are not allowed over there until that nasty house is clean and the twins learn not to hit my children. They can come over here but I will NOT let my children go over to that nasty place. Good luck with your MIL situation
    Mom2LexiNJordan

Answer by Mom2LexiNJordan at 7:29 PM on May. 31, 2010

• It sounds like maybe your MIL is afraid to discipline the kids. Perhaps she is concerned with upsetting their parents. If I were you, I would make sure to speak up. You have a right to nicely reprimand or positively encourage other people's children if they are negatively interfering with your own kids. Also, with going over there so frequently, you will have to be careful that your own two children don't start mimicking what the older kids do. Touchy situation, definitely!
    Anonymous