My 2 year old has seasonal allergies does this mean he shouldn't play outside?!

My 2 year old son has been seen by his doctor twice now for allergies. It seems like they just keep getting worse. It all started with itchy watery eyes and now he has a rash, cough, runny nose and watery eyes. So he went back to the doctor just to make sure it is still just allergies. We just started him on some claritin and it seems to have helped somewhat in the last hour. But my husband is under the impression that we should keep him indoors. I disagree...what do you think?

queenfet

Asked by queenfet at 7:14 PM on May. 31, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Disagree with your husband! My daughter gets seasonal allergies too. We give her Claratin in the morning, and Zyrtec at night (per doc's orders). It's not healthy to keep a kiddo shut up inside.
    Anonymous

• I don't know if your Dr told you but it will take a week or so for it to really work right. Zyrtec works well too. I buy the equate kind at walmart, it's much cheaper, and it works well for our son... I give it to him at night since it's a once a day dose. Hope he feels better soon! Oh and no I wouldn't keep him inside, the air inside can be just as bad or worse than outside. A good bath before bed should help, and don't hang your laundry outside because of the pollen...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 7:19 PM on May. 31, 2010

• I have allergies, my 3 kids have allergies, and my grandbaby has allergies. Everyone in my family has allergies. It's the norm for us. You might keep him in on the really bad days but you can't keep him in all the time.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 7:23 PM on May. 31, 2010

• My allergies are triggers for my asthma, my LO has allergies. Currently she has itchy, watery eyes and a gooey nose as well as a rash. I will not keep her inside. It is beautiful, sticky hot weather outside and we are going to get our friend from next door to play soon. Let them out and let them be kids and have fun. Just keep using the allergy meds so that they can feel better.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:38 AM on Jun. 1, 2010