Is your childrens God-parents in there lives?

What is the real definition of a God-parent?? Are they there when u need them or have they not seen ur child since they were born. What do u say to a slacking god-parent???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:16 PM on May. 31, 2010 in General Parenting

• My DDs god parents are her aunt and uncle, so she sees them quite often.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 7:19 PM on May. 31, 2010

• My sister and brother-in-law are my son's Godparents. They are involved with his life and always will be, as we are very close. They see him all the time and are good to him. However, I know should something happen to me or my STBX husband, they will raise my son as I would, including his relationship with God.
    rio_burb

Answer by rio_burb at 7:21 PM on May. 31, 2010

• What do you consider a "slacking God parent"? Some whose not bringing extra gifts around at birthdays and christmas? A God parent is supposed to make sure that should something happen to you, your child will be brought up in the same faith. It has nothing to do with what they can give you. So unless your dead, and they are not taking your child to church, I would guess you can't really say they are slacking.
    Anonymous

• IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH GIFTS AND THINGS..............................BUT DO I HAVE TO BE DEAD FOR THEM TO BE THERE FOR SUPPORT WHEATHER ITS PHYSICALLY OR EMOTIONALLY. BRINGING THEM UP IN THE SAME FAITH IS THERE MAIN JOB, BUT THERE IS MORE TOO IT THAT COMES FROM THE HEART.......AND IF I CANT TRUST U TO BE THERE WHILE IM ALIVE, I DONT KNOW HOW THE HELL THEY ARE GONNA BE THERE FOR MY CHILD ONCE IM GONE.
    Anonymous

• Both of my children have 2 different sets of god parents. Their aunt and uncle will take them BOTH should DH and I die. We have godparents for reasons of family tradition. I don't expect either set to do anything extra for my kids.
    Anonymous

• yes. my dd god parents are my brother and my aunt. very involved in her life.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 9:22 PM on May. 31, 2010

• my kids don't have godparents. they had a godfather who kind of took on the role himself, i never offered, then he skipped out on them.
    mhaney03

Answer by mhaney03 at 11:51 PM on May. 31, 2010

• I grew up in a Baptist household so we didn't have Godparents. When I had my 1st baby by my first husband, they were Lutheran and did believe in Godparents. He chose his best friend and I chose his older female cousin. I have no clue what Godparents are for because they have never been a part of my daughter's life before and after the divorce. She is 21 years old now and has no clue about it all or who they are, either.
    Since my second and forever DH is a non-denominational Christian, we never did the Godparent thing with the two children we had together.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 9:24 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• In our family its considered the responisblity of the whole family to come together to raise the child in need in a Godly and Christan way and to care for the child in needs physical and emotional needs. Where ever the child fits best is where it will be placed.

We're a tight knit family and belive in taking care of one another.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 12:48 AM on Jun. 3, 2010