would you let your 4 year old go swimming with...

her friend from school she also lives near us and they play sometimes her mom said the have a YMCA membership thing and the ymca has like a water park for kids my child don't know how to swim and she has been asking if my child can go with them i am so scared of letting her go (i never let her go anywhere without me lol....i know she needs to i have just been letting her go with her grandparents once in a while) my question is what would you do would you let her go what would you say if you don't htink it is a good idea?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:41 PM on May. 31, 2010 in Just for Fun

• if she doesn't know how to swim i would not. i would go with her. or if its little kiddie pool its fine.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 7:43 PM on May. 31, 2010

• I would let my child go as long as the mom understood that she couldn't swim. I would send her with a life jacket as well.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 7:43 PM on May. 31, 2010

• are the other parents going to be there? if they will have supervision that you trust i dont see why not. or just offer to go too.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 7:43 PM on May. 31, 2010

• I would just say that since she can't swin, you don't feel comfortable for her to go w/o you.

And I wouldn't either, When my kids go to a playdate like that, I go with them.
    Nynne

Answer by Nynne at 7:45 PM on May. 31, 2010

• I would not let her go without me.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 7:46 PM on May. 31, 2010

• Like the others said, I would go along too. YMCA does have a life guard, if it makes you feel better. At least the one in my town does. :-)
    Anonymous

• Why don't you ask the mom if she'd like to meet you guys up there? That way she gets the play date and you get to feel safer knowing your with her.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 7:52 PM on May. 31, 2010

• I am a mom who watches a friends' little girl who's about that age. She is quite insecure and has fun when our daughter has fun. This is fine. She models everything our daughter does , and that is fine also. We love her. She would had gone swimming today actually but the little one was insecure about that and before had gotten a little cry spell and felt out of place. so when we wanted to go swimming she felt pressured more. This was a good lesson for us. However it's so hot outside that even if she were out in a pool I am thinking that she may get heat stroke, and feel left out without her mom. She needs to know mom is around and I feel this is the answer I'd find appropriate . The age is a tender time for their emotional growth.
    Anonymous

• Swimming, no, I would not let her go without me. My DD is almost 5, has had 3 years of swimming lessons, but when her preschool went to the pool a few weeks ago I went along even though there were already plenty of parents going. I'd go along with her or say no.
    Anonymous

• My children knew how to swim by 4yrs........... but until they knew how to swim then NEVER went to a pool with anyone but ME!
    Anonymous