What would YOU do???

Here's the scenario: You're 43, you had a tubal in 1991, you go 18 1/2 YEARS without EVER getting pregnant and then BAM ! you get pregnant. You weren't trying, you weren't planning on it and you had grand plans to enjoy a life with just you & hubby & no kids & to travel because for the first time since you got married in 1985 you are going to just be a couple (1st child born 10 mos. & 7 days after you got married). What would you do?

I am, btw, going to be 43 in March, my husband will be 44 in April, we will celebrate our 25th anniversary in October & our 5th child is due in Jan. '11. I had my tubes tied in 12/91 and last week we found out that I am pregnant. Shock set in, LOL In Jan. our 4 adult sons will be 24, 23, 20 and 19. A lot of people have opinions on this and seem to think we are wrong for keeping this child. We see this baby as a gift, we aren't aborting or giving the baby away just because we are in our 40's.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:47 PM on May. 31, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I say, you go girl!!! I commend you on keeping the child and moving forward with your precious gift. I say anyone that has something rude to say, obviously doesn't have any idea how it feels to truly love a child, or care for them. Nor half the benefits that come from a parent being older rather than younger.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 8:14 PM on May. 31, 2010

• I would view the pregnancy as a whole lot of fate kicking in! Congrats!!!
    Anonymous

• i'd keep my baby and enjoy raising my last child. maybe you will have a girl!
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 7:49 PM on May. 31, 2010

• If it were ME, I would probably abort. I just had my second child, and I am DONE. DH will be getting a vasectomy. I never want to go through the pain of pregnancy again. BOTH were very hard on my body the entire 9 months. I can't see myself being willing to go through another when my first 2 children are grown, and I am older.

That would be ME. If you are ready and willing to have a 5th, congrats to you!! :)

Anonymous

• Well, congrats, but I have to say this story scares me. I got my tubes tied two years ago. I think in about 10 years, I will be retying them. LOL. I think it's great you guys are going to have the baby!
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 7:50 PM on May. 31, 2010

• Congratulations. People are always going to stick their noses where they don't belong. Do what makes YOU happy.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 7:51 PM on May. 31, 2010

• How can not murdering a child be wrong?

Keep your little presious gift and enjoy the extra help the siblings can offer, and the extra experience you have this time around :)

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Nynne

Answer by Nynne at 7:53 PM on May. 31, 2010

• CONGRATS!! Happy to hear youre not aborting
    Anonymous

• I'd keep the baby too. My hubby had two vasectomies (yes two, that's not a typo) and we still got pregnant - not trying at all. Sadly we lost that baby at 12w of pregnancy. We did some soul searching and decided against trying for another one, but still found ourselves pregnant again a few months later. We feel that we were meant to have our third child. Not keeping it never even crossed our minds.

Now if I were to find myself pregnant again, we'd be having a very serious discussion about giving that child to my sister and bil. They are trying to adopt, they've gone through all the classes, had their home visits, they're just waiting to hear from their social worker about a child. So I'd certainly have that thought in my mind if I were to get pregnant again. But so far the Dr who did my tubal seems to be a lot better than the one who did hubby's vasectomies ;)
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 8:00 PM on May. 31, 2010

• I would bitch and moan and complain and then I'd pull my head out of my butt and prepare for another baby.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 8:01 PM on May. 31, 2010