What do I do about unruly hair down there?

My DD has had pubic hair for almost 2 years now. She will be 10 in August. It hasnt been an issue yet. I mean she doesnt really like it and has actually shaved it off once, but all in all no issue. Well, we went swimming Saturday and I noticed hair strands sticking out of the bottoms of her suit. What do I do n0w? I fixed her suit so they werent really showing but I know that wont always work. I dont know if I should have her suit on and I clip the hair with scissors, or shave, or have her do it. But she is only 9!! I did have to shave her armpits a few weeks ago...My baby is getting so big :(.

jajumommy2000

Asked by jajumommy2000 at 8:03 PM on May. 31, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• shaving will cause it to grow back thicker.. just have her put shorts over her swimsuit
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 8:15 PM on May. 31, 2010

• Wow, poor girly! I'd say show her how to trim it and let her learn and practice and do it herself. I also agree with maiahlynn, get her some board shorts or something. They're more modest, anyway, so you can't go wrong.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 8:17 PM on May. 31, 2010

• I'm wondering if it would be safe to use Nair down there and on her armpits?
    My friends daughter has very hairy legs and never thought anything of it until the kids in her class started making fun of her for it (she was 7 at the time) and my friend started using Nair on her daughters legs, she said its better than shaving..she was scared she would cut herself.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 9:00 PM on May. 31, 2010

• There are some creams similar to Nair that are made for the genital area. Because of her young age, I would search those out and teach her how to use it. If they are specifically made for the genital area, it will be MUCH better than shaving.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:10 AM on Jun. 1, 2010

• I would avoid Nair and the like... children are much more likely to have a reaction to depilatory creams because their skin is more sensitive.
    Get her a little clipper set (like a beard trimmer) & show her how to trim down there. Or just use some blunt-tipped scissors. Shorts are also a great idea.
    Whatever you're going to do, do it soon... before she is embarrassed by it.
    emslala

Answer by emslala at 7:11 AM on Jun. 1, 2010

• 7 year olds with pubic hair? Why?
    soflashelley

Answer by soflashelley at 8:02 AM on Jun. 1, 2010

• You could also get her a suit (or two piece) with a swim skirt.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 10:02 AM on Jun. 1, 2010

• sofiashelley-she isnt 7, she almost 10.And what do you mean why? But she has had pubic hair for almost 2 years now. Kids get it sooner and sooner now.. And yea, I think I will let her use my trimmer there. i dont want her embarrased and want he comfy in her suit. She has a 2 piece tankini.
    jajumommy2000

Answer by jajumommy2000 at 3:23 PM on Jun. 1, 2010

• I would also do the shorts. Jeeze to early in life to have to deal with tht crap lol'...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:11 AM on Jun. 2, 2010

• When my DD was 9 she began to grow pubic hairs and she just shaved it off because she didn't like the way it looked and felt. I thought that was really weird but I did some online research and found that many kids these days are shaving all their pubic hair off. Nothing wrong with it. It's just hear and grows back if she changes her mind.
    Anonymous