Has your kids ever asked you this?

All of a sudden they ask me what can they eat to be healthy..I was like where did this come from.
well I said we need to eat a lot of fruits & vegetables and drink lot of water I mean was all I said oh and not eat too much junk food and sodas and sugar. they were like oohh but I really don't what they thought after I told them taking away the good and fun stuff...lol (I mean some people think that junk food and soda are ok) sometimes we fall too.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:09 PM on May. 31, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My kids started asking those questions after they had a special health day at school. my ds dropped the subject but dd didnt.
    renniemom3

Answer by renniemom3 at 8:15 PM on May. 31, 2010

• I think it's good in moderation - we only have soda on weekends and same goes for dessert.

In the week we try to eat healthy, but we don't go crazy.
    Nynne

Answer by Nynne at 8:18 PM on May. 31, 2010

• Mine has talked about it too. I asked her where she had heard about it, she said tv. So maybe tv is good for something after all. lol
    Anonymous

• Soda itself is horrible for you due to all the artificial flavorings and addatives. Not to mention the high content of sugar. No child should drink soda. However, junk food in moderation is fine. Just as long as it isn't a staple in their diet. Eating lots of fruits and veggies in excess can be just as fattening as junk food. Due to the high amount of sugars that are in them. People don't realize that ANY food in excess can be bad for you. That is why portion control is so important. Make sure you give them the right information on eating healthy, because saying "Just eat fruits, veggies, and water" isn't giving them all they need to know. Grains are important and dairy are an importan part of a balanced diet too.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 8:22 PM on May. 31, 2010

• Sounds like you gave them a good answer. The real challenge, though, is modeling healthy behavior--eating healthy yourself. We try to eat healthy all the time, so I don't think that will be an issue for us. Good look! Sounds like you have smart kids!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 8:29 PM on May. 31, 2010

• Anonymous

• My kids scold me if I drink dr pepper. LOL
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 1:17 AM on Jun. 2, 2010

• My son had a nutrition unit at school. He came home and threw all the cereal in the trash. LOL . He has taught me to be a better shopper. I read more labels and bring more fruits and vegetables in the house. It's funny how he takes his teacher so seriously, but he never listens to me about healthy eating. Oh, well. At least he is finally getting the message.
    tiggermom803

Answer by tiggermom803 at 1:37 AM on Jun. 2, 2010