Storing bottles

When I make my one year old's bottles, I make them ahead so that for the next day, all I have to do is pull a premade bottle out of the fridge. I'm wanting to start him on milk and was wondering if, instead of ten ounces of formula, I can premake the bottles with 8 oz formula and 2 oz milk. Would they store ok? Is it even necessary to "wean" him onto milk??

MamaRae85

Asked by MamaRae85 at 8:31 PM on May. 31, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Yes, you can store them that way. Check with your Dr. on what to do about weaning and you may want to consider weaning from the bottle at one year.
    Anonymous

• I would not mix, but decrease the amount of formula and start adding the milk to make up. Just remember that children can become constipated when they have had to too much milk. My pedi told me that they only need half their weight in oz of milk a day. A 20 pound child only needs 10 oz of milk and make sure that they get other things with calcium, like green veggies, cheese and yogurt.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:50 PM on May. 31, 2010

• Anon :54, thanks. He's starting on a sippy cup, I'm just taking it slow, I guess? Thanks for the advice though, I appreciate it! =)
    MamaRae85

Answer by MamaRae85 at 9:00 PM on May. 31, 2010

• It's not necessary to "wean" him onto milk, but it's sometimes easier. My youngest had no problem going straight from formula one day to milk the next, but my oldest we used a weaning process where we reduced the amount of breastmilk/increased the amount of milk each time in his sippy. And my middle two would never drink milk at all! You may have to decrease the amount of formula/milk combination he's getting, though. My pediatrician only recommends 16-20 oz/day in milk - you may want to ask yours. Other than milk, he drinks water, and juice for special treats.

Answer by missanc at 9:58 PM on May. 31, 2010