At what point or how do you began to get or help a infant what he should play with and Things to stay away from and not play with. What do other moms do to help them learn?

My son is 6 1/2 months and curious about everything, mostly things I want him to stay away from.

JaymieZ

Asked by JaymieZ at 8:37 PM on May. 31, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I assume when you say things he should not oplay with, you mean electrical cords, vases and such ...

When mine were little, we would tell them NO, and take the item or move the child. If that did not work we would lightly smack their hands. We would start this whenever they would start doing something wrong. Probably @ 2-3 months of age, when they start to pay attention to you talking to them.
    Nynne

Answer by Nynne at 8:44 PM on May. 31, 2010

• Teach the NO early and say "No touch that is not for (insert baby's name)" and redirect towards toys that are designed for infants. Honestly, hit a thrift store and yard sales and find toys that aren't to played with that your LO will give lots of love too. I would say that 95% of the toys that we have are hand me downs or bought from yard sales, thrift stores, or consignment shops. Good luck, because it is just beginning to get fun.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:44 PM on May. 31, 2010

• I mean : ...things he should not play with...
    Nynne

Answer by Nynne at 8:45 PM on May. 31, 2010

• You don't need to hit. baby does not have impulse control. Move dangerous things and supervise. You can say no, or not for you, etc and redirect. You must be actively watching. Don't expect an infant to have the capacity to stay away, that takes years to develop
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:14 PM on May. 31, 2010