at what age do you start talking to your DD about things like drugs, periods, sex things like that?

my DD is only 5 so I think I have a while before I have to talk to her, but didn't know when I should start and how I should talk to her about them. She already asked me over winter she was 4.5 at the time she asked me where babies come from so I did tell her that, but when do I start actually talking to her about these things? By the way she is very smart for her age and also you tell her anything at all she will remember it. There are somethings she remembers from 1.5 years old lol. She even tells everyone everything so I would have to watch what I say to her lol

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:52 PM on May. 31, 2010 in General Parenting

• Well before 5 I can tell you that. My boys are 2 1/2 and 4. We already started basic sex ed and have talked to them about drugs and alcohol... Once they start school they get to learn all that stuff from the kids with older brothers and sisters, and I don't know about you, but that's not how I want my kids to learn...

Plus, I wasn't much older than that the first time I tried drugs, alcohol or even sex... So, yeah, I would vote for NOW!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:30 PM on May. 31, 2010

• I would answer her questions as they come up. Just make the answers age appropriate. You don't have to give great detail but explain the basics. Honestly she will talk to her friends when it comes to sex unless you start that talk early on in puberty. I wish you luck and I am dreading those same conversations and mine is only 2.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:54 PM on May. 31, 2010

• It's an ongoing conversation to have, as things come up. If they don't come up, definitely before she leaves elementary school.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 9:05 PM on May. 31, 2010

• My oldest daughter is 9. She has known about periods for a few years and she knows that a baby is made with an egg and sperm and where those things come from. She just hasn't put the whole how they come together in order yet. She asked questions here and there; I just answered.

I think the put together thing is going to come up because they have "the movie" in 5th grade next year, so I'll be ready.

Usually when they ask about babies they aren't asking about sex. Answer the questions and be honest yet age appropriate.
    heatheryn

Answer by heatheryn at 9:47 PM on May. 31, 2010

• I also have a 5 year old dd, and I've just answered her questions as they come up. She knows all about gestation and birth, but I haven't told her the specifics of conception. We've had talks about drugs, and she always follows me into the bathroom, so she knows all about what a period is. We had a talk about homosexuality the other day. Yeah, just don't make those talks "big-weird-things". Just answer her questions honestly when she asks them
    flower_momma

Answer by flower_momma at 9:48 PM on May. 31, 2010

• what ever you do, make sure to explain to her to not talk about those things with her friends and classmates or you will have some very upset parents on your hands! we do not teach to believe in things such as santa and the easter bunny and we do not celebrate halloween, and when my daughter was asked by her teacher what she was getting from santa she said "santa isn't real" and set off a huge tantrum in the classroom by the other kids! it wasn't pretty.

honestly i think it's a terrible idea to have school pictures taken with such fictional characters but that's another debate for another day.
    Anonymous

• You talk them about these things as they come up. Drugs and alcohol are things you can teach them young. My aunt drinks alot of beer and my daughter sees it. She will drink her apple juice and say this is my beer. I talk to her about beer and its not good for you and it makes you sick. Periods may want to start talking about that early. I got mines at 11 and I had no clue what it was. Totally freaked me out so I plan to talk to her about it maybe 2nd or 3rd grade just to make sure. Sex Im a save that until atleast junior high or when she really reaches puberty and boobs and stuff.
    lilmsnay83

Answer by lilmsnay83 at 12:38 AM on Jun. 1, 2010