at what age do kids stop believeing the easter bunny, tooth fairy and stuff like that?

my DD is 5 years old. At what age do they start knowing? Also do I tell her about it or wait until she finds out on her own?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:53 PM on May. 31, 2010 in General Parenting

• Let them believe as long as they want to. Most kids stop between 8-10 and they will likely come to you and ask (bc someone blew it at school usually)
    Anonymous

• Most kids figure it out on their own, unless they have a friend who breaks the news. I have a neighbor whos second youngest who is 10 keeps up the "scheme" because the next one is 4. He has been playing along for about 2 years now. He doesn't want to ruin it for his little brother and his older brothers kept playing along because they were threatened within an inch of their lives to not ruin it.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:57 PM on May. 31, 2010

• Most figure it out on their own, and some will keep it going anyway because it's fun. My older one is 10 and still believes, or at least lets me think she believes.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 9:04 PM on May. 31, 2010

• I believed until I was 10. And then my sister broke it to me in front of my best friend. I was SO embarrassed for still believing. We actually don't do all of those with our kids now. We did it with our oldest (before we made the decision not to. There is a large age gap so there was no issue with switching what we did) and she started asking questions around 7-8. I think often they question around then and parents keep it up. I took that opportunity to tell her it actually wasn't true.
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 9:50 PM on May. 31, 2010

• I never believed and neither do my kids... But I the friends I have who did tell their kids that stuff all confessed long before 10. In most cases they will find out from other kids at school and come home and ask...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:34 PM on May. 31, 2010

• I think I was around 10 or so...saw Hungry Hungry Hippos in the trunk of the car...then unwrapped it, marked "from Santa"
    I played along for awhile b/c my brother was younger, and because for some reason I didn't want my parents to know that I knew
    Anonymous

• Depends on the kids. Some kids are more fantasy oriented and some are more logical. I think my oldest started to figure it out at around 6. She's almost 10 and I'm sure she realizes it's all silly and can't be real although she insists she still believes (that whole...covering herself just in case, lol). I think my son, who is almost 9, also realizes it. Easter 09 they both told me the Easter bunny wasn't real since I'm the one that hides the eggs but he was a little upset that I mentioned Santa wasn't real. I think he gets it, though.
    My middle daughter is 7 1/2 and very fantasy oriented and 100% believes in these things still. Just mentioning they might not be real brings her to tears.
    I don't push it one way or the other. If they believe then fine, if they don't then they can't spoil it for the younger kids.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:45 AM on Jun. 1, 2010