sleeping on your back

I wake up a lot on my back and it freaks me out because my Dr told me not to sleep on my bake after 20 weeks, why cant you sleep on it and does anyone else have lower back pain if they do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:55 PM on May. 31, 2010 in Pregnancy

• if you are waking up like that i wouldnt worry about it. as long as it's not hurting to sleep like that.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 8:57 PM on May. 31, 2010

• It does give me lower back pain. You're not supposed to sleep on your back because it can cut off blood flow to your lower extremities. Don't get freaked out over it- that'll make your sleep crappy. Just roll over to your side and go back to sleep. The only thing that keeps me from rolling to my back constantly at night is having a body pillow.
    Anonymous

• It's fine. I was sleeping on my back in the hospital when I was 22-26 weeks pregnant with my son, and the nurses "tsked" me, but they said the only reason they frowned on it was because it could cut off blood flow. But that was the only way I could fall asleep, every other position was just too uncomfortable.
    ManicMomma02

Answer by ManicMomma02 at 9:17 PM on May. 31, 2010

• I was the same way. So i asked my doctor about it. he told me people say not to because it can cut off blood flow to the placenta. But he said that it will affect you before it affects the placenta. he said you will get really light headed and nausous so he if it gets to that point you will automatically move because you wont feel well. he told me not to worry about it. He also said that was flat on your back. he said any kind of incline with pillows will make it not happen.
    Anonymous

• The Nurse Midwife at my OB's office said that if you are comfortable on your back it isn't such a big deal. Being on your back can cut off blood, but your legs and lower half would also be asleep. If you were cutting off blood you would wake up with discomfort or you would just roll over in your sleep. I am 35 weeks and still sleep on my back still.
    nicki.hemingway

Answer by nicki.hemingway at 9:49 PM on May. 31, 2010

• Sleepin on your back during pregnancy causes the flow of oxygen in the blood to the placenta to be deprived, not sending enough oxygen to the baby. Before going to sleep, place a pillow or two behind your back and/or legs to keep you at least slightly elevated to the side...this helps relieve some of the back pain as well. Play around with the pillows a rearange them as needed. By the end of my pregnancy I think I was up to about 6 pillows,lol.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 9:52 PM on May. 31, 2010

• I sleep however I'm comfortable. I usually go to bed on my back but toss and turn. During the day I'm always on my back so I can keep my legs elevated (I swell really bad). I also hurt my tailbone this time around so sitting is really painful so I mostly just lie around and the most comfortable position for me is on my back. This is my 5th kid and they've all survived so far.
    My OB with my 4th told me to sleep however I wanted...I had already figured that out with baby #3.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 4:49 PM on Jun. 1, 2010