summer play help!

my kids 9,11 12,14 are bored and their friends cant play. GRRRRRR what things do you have in your mind that are fun that dont cost anything. I kinda wish school was year round. They have bikes,and skateboards. I wish thier were more kids for my children to hang out with.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:36 PM on May. 31, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Check w/ your local park district. One here does concerts, shows, organized games in the park all for free.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 9:46 PM on May. 31, 2010

• This might sound silly, but we've done it with our kids and it's been fun. Get on the highway and drive to a rest stop. Most rest stops have ads, coupons, etc for things to do in your State or area of your State. A lot of times, it's for things that you might not have known about or might have forgotten about.

You can go, get some of those ads and coupons, a map on how to get there, and go "play tourist" in your home State. Some of the things are free, some aren't - but you can look at what's there to do and pick from them.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:50 PM on May. 31, 2010

• Look into Scouts. Sometimes, that can be expensive, but not all the time - there are many troops that are very low cost, and also, if there's a financial burden, they can be sponsored by the Scouting Organization themselves. They go camping, hiking, etc.

As a pp said, check with your local Parks and Rec for the free activities they do - those can be a lot of fun!

Go to the library and see what they have going on for summer read programs.

good luck!
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:52 PM on May. 31, 2010

• Our Girl Scout troops actually don't meet regularly in the summer. We had our last regular meeting last week, and I'm so glad for the break. They do have events scheduled here and there in the summer though.

I take the kids to the library, the park, the splash pad (a favorite!), or just let them run around outside. They are 5 and 10. We'll be making more than one trip to the zoo. This year, I want them to take pictures and then we can make them into albums when we get back. We also have passes to the museum, so we'll go there too.

Maybe take them to a craft/hobby store and see if they're interested in doing any of that.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 10:22 PM on May. 31, 2010

• Your Girl Scouts don't meet over the summer? When my dd did GS, (now she's older and does Venture Scouts) they would meet every other week (instead of the every week they were doing), and Boy Scouts goes year round, though usually the Cub Scouts do like our dd's Girl Scouts used to do and would meet on a modified schedule.

I believe you that your troops don't meet, it's just surprising to me, because there's so many scouting sorts of things that can be done over the summer :-(
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 11:17 PM on May. 31, 2010

• Join a LetterBox club....you and the kids just might love it!

atlasquest.com is one site to join for free and letterboxing.org is another.

Both sites will explain what letterboxing is all about.  It is simple, free, and you and your children will learn so much about your own town and the towns near you.  People of ALL ages love to do this!  My friend in Maine is very involved and got me interested and now my children are interested.  We hope to travel further out in our state to learn more!

PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 9:00 AM on Jun. 1, 2010