i want to wean my son from the bottle. any tips?

my bf was on the bottle til he was in kindergarden, and my mil is pushing her mistakes on me....i feel very strongly about my son not having the bottle past 15 months, i also have a baby due in aug. what would be the best way to go about it?

april262009

Asked by april262009 at 9:49 PM on May. 31, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I started giving my son a sippy cup with his morning/afternoon drinks. Then he got a bottle for nap time and for bedtime. Then after a week I gave him a sippy cup with nap time and only a bottle with bedtime. Then another week bottles were taken away and he only got the sippy cup. My son wasn't attached to the bottle like some children are, so it was actually pretty easy. I probably could've done a change cold turkey, but I felt more comfortable letting him test it out.

If your son is attached to his bottles then there is no better way then cold turkey. Due to the fact that if he knows the bottle is in there he'll not drink the sippy. If he gets thirsty enough he'll try the sippy cup.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:52 PM on May. 31, 2010

• Introduce a sippy cup if you haven't already. You may have to try a couple of different styles - come kids like the ones with spouts (the soft spouts are very similar to bottle nipples) and some like the ones with straws. Then substitute the sippy cup for one bottle/day until he's completely off bottles and on sippy's. If he's completely refusing the sippy, you may have to go cold turkey on the bottle and just take it away. When he is thirsty he will drink!

Answer by missanc at 9:54 PM on May. 31, 2010

• get a beginner sippy cup. they have nipple kind of like a bottle, and still have to be tipped up. they also have the ones with straws, which my dd was particularly fond of.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 9:57 PM on May. 31, 2010

• Non of my kids had a bottle after 13 months. I just took away the bottle and gave them a sippy cup. There wasnt an issue with it at all as long as they got there milk.
    Casarah13

Answer by Casarah13 at 10:04 PM on May. 31, 2010

• throw the bottles away. if he is thirsty enough, he'll drink out of a sippy cup
    Anonymous

• My 23 month old is down to two bottles per day. She was drinking three, but today, out of the blue, she handed me her sippy cup and motioned to me that she wanted milk in it. YEA!!! I'm letting her take the lead on this issue. Now that she wants her milk in a sippy, I'm sure the other two bottles will be gone in a short amount of time! :-)
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 12:01 AM on Jun. 1, 2010