I told my son to take a fan up to his room so he can use it when he goes to bed. My DH(sons stepdad) got upset and said he doesnt need a fan, he has a ceiling fan...

Which is true, he does have a ceiling fan but its one of those little ones that doesnt put off much air. His bedroom feels like a hot box,it was SO super hot here today and he has small windows, not much of a breeze is coming through.And you know how preteen boys seem to always have a higher body heat factor as it is? lol...really..the kid would wear shorts to play out in the snow if I let him, he's always HOT. Anyway, I told him to take the fan up there. And DH and I got into an arguement about it. I told him I am not making my son suffer like that..who can sleep in the heat like that? I can't My DH is a freeze baby by the way.He said he doesnt want the electric bill to go up. Yet, his kids come over to spend the night and leave 2 tv's on all night long after they fall asleep, but thats no big deal, right?pfft.Would you let your kid sleep in the heat like that with no relief from a fan?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:10 PM on May. 31, 2010 in General Parenting

• I'd tell my dh to stuff it honestly. A fan doesn't use very much power at all and it's not like you said "I'm turning the thermostat down five degrees whether you like it or not!" Seems like kind of a silly thing for him to have started an argument over really.
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 10:46 PM on May. 31, 2010

• NOT A CHANCE IN HELL. Sorry it means fighting with your beloved...but baby comes first.
    Adeline1210

Answer by Adeline1210 at 10:15 PM on May. 31, 2010

• heck no i wouldn't and your husband is an ass for trying to neglect your son that way! Does he know that is a form of child abuse?

soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 10:16 PM on May. 31, 2010

• LOL this is so funny bc I know where u r coming from my dh complains about this and that trying to save money oohh but the minute his teen kids come over to visit it is all forgotten it makes me mad bc I feel like I can't be the way I want to be.
    Get your son the fan it is true the heat stays in the higher part of the house, ask your dh unless he wants yourson to sleep with you guys...lol or on the same floor level. GL
    Anonymous

• Good idea anon 16,lol...maybe I will suggest my son just come sleep in our room where the windows are bigger with a great breeze and we have a much better ceiling fan,lol. Bet he'd change his penny pinching attitude real quick,lol.
    Anonymous

• No way. I'd tell my husband to get the hell over it. There is no reason to have your son suffer, and I know how hard it is to sleep in a hot room. It's misery. And a fan is not going to raise the electric bill a lot anyway.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 10:28 PM on May. 31, 2010

• I'd let him keep the fan. Some of those ceiling fans, especially the small ones, don't do anything. :( We sleep with 2 fans on in our own room (ceiling fan and stand fan.)
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 10:31 PM on May. 31, 2010

• Oh, he got the fan,lol. That was not a losing battle for me,lol. No way. The DH is just giving me the good ol silent tretmet now,lol. Oh well, he'll get over it..more reason for me to stay up and play on puter longer..haha. Hows that for runnin up th eelectric bill,lol. I'm so mean. He's not that bad, just urked me over the fan thing.
    Anonymous

• Everyone in my family has a fan in their rooms. If they need two, so be it. I would rather my kids get a good nights sleep then toss and turn in the heat. I get hot at night, so I love my fan personally.
    Anonymous

• It's dangerous to let the kids sleep in dead air in heat like we've been having. (Mid-Michigan) This air doesn't have natural air flow with even all the windows open, so we have to have a couple of fans on to keep the air moving. If I were in your position I would tell DH that he has to deal with it. I would never let my children sleep in still heat like that. It can cause a lot of issues and I don't want either of my children dealing with that. Luckily my husband agrees there should be fans on throughout the house when we're sleeping.

Don't give in. Let your son have the fan on in his room. Your DH will just have to deal with it.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:46 PM on May. 31, 2010