Once babies have teeth are you not supposed to give them milk at night anymore?

My son is 5 months and he has 2 teeth. He wakes up once around 4-5am for a bottle. My friend said I shouldnt give him milk at night cause he has teeth. He JUST turned 5 months old 2 days ago. Is that true to not give him milk at night? He is still awfully young to not let him him have his Milk

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:14 PM on May. 31, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The most danger to teeth is when they fall a sleep with the bottle in their mouth and the bottle ends up being in the mouth and just keeps dripping the milk. If you are getting up and feeding him and laying back in bed when he's done I would say it's fine. If you are waking up, giving him a bottle and just going back to bed yourself without monitoring it to be sure the bottle is removed when he's done then I would say give him water.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 10:20 PM on May. 31, 2010

• at 5 1/2 months thats still most of their food intake. Dr's recommend starting puree's around 4-6 months, majority being 6 months. Give your baby that milk but brush his/her teeth every day
    Anonymous

• Yes at 5 months old if they are waking up they are hungry. Just do not leave the bottle with baby. If you are really worried take a cloth and wipe down the teeth and gums or a baby tooth/gum brush. 5 months is too young to be denied a feeding. Ask your doctor not a dumb friend.
    Crystal8327

Answer by Crystal8327 at 10:40 PM on May. 31, 2010

• As a pp said, it is the bottle continuously dripping formula/other non-water liquid into the mouth while sleeping that encourages bottle rot. I would just feed him and put him to be without the bottle--then use one of those "finger brushes" during the day.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 10:40 PM on May. 31, 2010

• I never agreed with that at all. I know that a lot of people disagree with me, but I don't buy into every single thing medical tells us. That's why I do what I feel is right for my kids. If they wake up and want a bottle, then that's what they get.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:42 PM on May. 31, 2010

• Feed your baby when he's hungry, teeth or no teeth. My son would still wake up once a night hungry at 15 months and I fed him.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 10:53 PM on May. 31, 2010

• im so guilty of letting my son have the bottle in his crib for bedtime and naps...i brush his teeth with a baby toothebrush in the morning to be safe...but honestly its the only way he will go to bed without crying....he just lets it fall next to him...i now everyone says its bad but honestly ppl have done it for decades i depends on the person and lifestyle. sometimes i feel like a bad parent for it but it feels right somehow.
    april262009

Answer by april262009 at 11:21 PM on May. 31, 2010

• I read somewhere that youre not supposed to let them fall asleep drinking the milk because it can stay in their mouth (same with juice) and if the need to fall asleep with a bottle to give them water.
    but honestly, how many babies do you know that probably fall asleep with milk, A TON and how many end up getting cavities from it? I plan getting my boys to break this habit around their first birthday which is when they should be weened off their bottle.
    just my opinion
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 11:27 PM on May. 31, 2010

• My son is 2yrs old and still has a sippy of milk if he wakes up but he has M.C.A.D.D and has to keep his blood sugar up. His doctor just told me to put water in a bottlle and squirt it in his mouth to rinse the milk out after he is done. Ive been doing it since he started sleeping through the night and he has perfect teeth.
    MiSs.SmOkEy

Answer by MiSs.SmOkEy at 12:26 AM on Jun. 1, 2010

• You should NEVER give your child a bottle at night without holding them while nursing. Not only is this a chocking hazard but it can also cause bottle rot. And bottle rot can occur even before the child has teeth.
    But as long as you are holding the baby during feedings and wiping the gums off with a damp wash cloth then it should be fine to give the baby milk.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 3:08 AM on Jun. 1, 2010