Medical Condition Labels & Double Standards...

We as a society {& the PC Police} have determined the "R" word now to be unusable, other than the strictest clinical terms. It is no longer acceptable to be used as an adjective in any other way. No about inanimate objects or ideas; not other people healthy or otherwise; and not about oneself.

Why? Because it is a real condition that those that are afflicted with can do nothing about.

So it occurred to me this evening; when I heard a commercial on the radio re: sufferers of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder; why are we so offended by the "R" word; but so cavalier about calling ourselves and others OCD as if it's amusing?

I'm just as guilty of it as anyone else; so this isn't judgment; but reflection.

But people who DO actually suffer from OCD aren't persnickety or anal retentive or set in their ways; they have severe uncontrollable compulsions...

Cont below>

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:16 PM on May. 31, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• < Cont from above

...things such as closing a door 7 times in a row; then turning the light switch on & off 9 times; before they can walk thru the doorway.

That's just one example; there are many; I think most of you know what I'm talking about.

But these are things that greatly impact and interfere with the ability of these people to live "normal" lives; hold down jobs and even interact with their peers.

Why is the suffering of their condition ok to use in a mocking way; but the other is not?

Comments / Thoughts?

I'm going to try to be more conscience of my choice in words in all ways; I can't promise to change over night; but being aware is a start.

/OP/
    Anonymous

• I think we are getting too carried away with the PC stuff. It seems these days people are always offended about something and that will never change.
    Anonymous

• My boyfriend actually does have OCD (Not so severe that it actually interferes with his life but enough to get him teased), but he could care less if anyone else uses it in a medically improper way. In fact, the other day he complained about his coworker being 'totally OCD'.
    I guess it's like women taking back the term 'Bitch'. You can't make people stop saying a word, so sometimes it's easier to roll with it.
    Quatrekins

Answer by Quatrekins at 10:23 PM on May. 31, 2010

• he could care less if anyone else uses it in a medically improper way.
    *****

And you don't think that there might not be mentally challenged people who could care less if the 'r' word is used in such a way? That's what I'm asking. Why is one so horrific and another just 'eh'?
    Anonymous

• The one is horrific because other people said it was. The people actually afflicted with the "R" disorder really can't speak out for themselves, so whatever was offensive to their families became offensive to them, according to their families. I find it ridiculous, personally, because the term is still used medically, and in music.

The other is not so offensive, because it really is not offensive, and those afflicted with that disorder are able to say so!
    Anonymous

• Words have power - when someone uses the "r" word (or any other medical diagnoses as a descriptive), they are usually doing so in a derogatory way that is meant to be hurtful. Even if it is only being used "in fun", the negative connotations & ideas associated with the word do not change in the minds of those who hear it and the stereoptype is perpetuated. It is no different than any other hate word.

Personally, I find using medical disorders as adjectives to be juvenile, low class & distasteful, but there will always be those who need to do so in order to make themselves feel superior.
    Anonymous

• Retarded describes a condition and the word should not be used to insult anyone. I have a niece who is mentally retarded. IMO, the problem is that we NOW have so many children, adolescents and even young adults who are diagnosed with an Autism Spectrum Disorder; and the word "retard" has become increasingly, carelessly, more used.   I have heard many kids say, You Retard or You're Retarded, in cutting up with another friend, which is not good but kids will be kids.   However, for anyone to use Retard or Retarded, carelessly or with cruel intention is truly UNACCEPTABLE, always has been and always will be...

agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 12:09 AM on Jun. 1, 2010

• agentwanda, the OP states quite clearly OCD is also a condition. Do you find the use of it in an insulting way; or 'in jest' that it is the same?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:14 AM on Jun. 1, 2010

• OCD actually falls under the ASD umbrella. And even though I don't think OCD has quite the same impact that Retard does, after all, Retard has been around for many years and has earned it's unkind reputation; OCD is fairly new but still, if used in an insulting manner, it could hurt an individual just the same. But then, any innuendo of this sort, would be insulting to the person being verbally assaulted. It's just wrong to make fun of another person who has any sort of disability, "jesting" is not okay, regardless of what it is, jmo.
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 1:17 AM on Jun. 1, 2010

• NONE of its ok.
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 6:27 AM on Jun. 1, 2010